WeBWorK Main Forum

Submit button not visible

Submit button not visible

by F. Heiderich -
Number of replies: 9
I have the following situation:

A homework set is assigned to a number of students and is open.

Instead of the "Submit Answers" button below the problems the students see a "Check Answers" button.

What can be the cause?
In reply to F. Heiderich

Re: Submit button not visible

by Alex Jordan -
This is the behavior if the due date for the set has already passed. Once a due date passes, for students, the Submit button becomes the Check button. No credit for submitted answers, but it still tells you if you are right or wrong.

So check the due date on the set. If that's not the issue, it could be some other things involving permissions.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by F. Heiderich -
As I wrote, the problem set is open, i.e. the due date is in the future and the opening date in the past.

What "other things involving permissions" could it possibly be?
In reply to F. Heiderich

by Danny Glin -
If you have given the students a limited number of attempts on a problem, then after they use up all of their attempts the "submit answers" button changes to the "check answers" button. This is one possibility.
In reply to Danny Glin

by F. Heiderich -
The situation is as follows: In the list of problems when viewing a problem set I see "unlimited" in the column for remaining attempts. But when viewing an individual problem, the following appears:

You have attempted this problem 0 times.
You have 0 attempts remaining.

I think this problem set was created using the "import" function and not from the library browser. Maybe something went wrong during the import.
In reply to F. Heiderich

by Alex Jordan -
Is it possible for some reason that the global property of a problem has been set to unlimited, but individual student overrides of 0 have been assigned?

What do you see when you:
  1. Go to Hmwk Sets Editor
  2. Click the "n/m" link under "Edit Assigned Users" in the row for the problem set in question
  3. Click "Edit data for..." a student with this issue
  4. Look at the max attempts value for problems

?

In reply to Alex Jordan

by F. Heiderich -
The global value for "max attempts" is 0 for the problems in question. They are not overwritten by settings for particular students.

I wonder how this could have happened. Maybe the instructor put in "0" there, because he thought that this might mean "unlimited", which seems not to be the case.

Maybe it might be worth to tell the instructor somewhere what is means if he enters "0" there. Maybe it would even be worth to show some warning (probably there are only a few use cases for the value "0").
In reply to F. Heiderich

by Alex Jordan -
OK, I interpreted "open" to mean after the open date. Even after a due date, a set is "open" in the sense that a student can access it, see questions, enter answers, and so on.
In reply to F. Heiderich

by Andras Balogh -
Here is a possible cause:
http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=243#p935

In reply to Andras Balogh

by F. Heiderich -
The students all have the status "student". However, when I edit them, the default value for their status is "guest", as described in the thread you cited. The value of the "permission" field in the SQL database is 0, which I believe corresponds to "student". So it seems that this is not my problem.

However, it seems that one could still accidentally change a students status to "guest" as this is the default value in the dropdown list.