WeBWorK Main Forum

Need Troubleshooting Help --Our Webwork Not Functional

Need Troubleshooting Help --Our Webwork Not Functional

by Jim Fischer -
Number of replies: 4
Our Webwork system was working fine until yesterday. I was running a computer lab yesterday with 30 or so simultaneous users. Things seem to be going fine (students logged in, working on problems, answer checker working and so on).

Now I can't login into webwork and students are getting errors even if they are able to login. Below is a copy of the error message I get when trying to login to my course.

Students also complain that when they try to enter answers in a problem, they get errors as well. I can post screen shots of these errors if needed.

Any suggestions on what to do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to Jim Fischer

Re: Need Troubleshooting Help --Our Webwork Not Functional

by Danny Glin -
I don't see your screenshot, but let's start with the usual suspects...

Have you restarted apache? If that has no effect, then I suggest stopping apache completely, checking to see that all apache processes have terminated, then start apache again.

The other thing to check is that you haven't run out of disk space (run df -h to see how much disk space is left).
In reply to Danny Glin

by Jim Fischer -
Thanks for the quick reply Danny. I am really in a jam and trying to get our webwork system working again before hundreds of angry students start sending emails! Hoping I can fix this in such a way to minimize lost work. Not sure why my screen shot didnt show up, I will try again.

I am wondering if someone in our IT department was doing something that caused our crash. I have contacted them and also will look at the wwadmin command history.

Looks like memory is not an issue. Here is the output from running df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 19G 16G 2.3G 88% /
udev 3.9G 4.0K 3.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 798M 744K 798M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 3.9G 80K 3.9G 1% /run/shm

I tried a stop and restart on apache2, sudo apache2ctl stop, sudo apache2ctl restart

Here is the output, it has some errors. Now ... /webwork2 webpage will not load at all in browser. I will also try stopping and starting as you suggest.

wwadmin@oitwebwork1:/etc/apache2/mods-available$ sudo apache2ctl restart
[sudo] password for wwadmin:
sudo: unable to open /var/lib/sudo/wwadmin/0: Read-only file system
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server is starting
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK root directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 in webwork2/conf/webwork.apache2-config
webwork.apache2-config: The following locations and urls are set in webwork2/conf/site.conf
webwork.apache2-config: PG root directory set to /opt/webwork/pg
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server userID is www-data
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server groupID is wwdata
webwork.apache2-config: The webwork url on this site is http://oitwebwork1.oit.edu/webwork2
WebworkSOAP::WSDL: webwork_directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 via $WeBWorK::Constants::WEBWORK_DIRECTORY set in webwork.apache2-config
WebworkSOAP::WSDL: rpc_url set to http://oitwebwork1.oit.edu/webwork2_rpc
WebworkWebservice: webwork_directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 via $WeBWorK::Constants::WEBWORK_DIRECTORY set in webwork.apache2-config
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server is starting
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK root directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 in webwork2/conf/webwork.apache2-config
webwork.apache2-config: The following locations and urls are set in webwork2/conf/site.conf
webwork.apache2-config: PG root directory set to /opt/webwork/pg
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server userID is www-data
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server groupID is wwdata
webwork.apache2-config: The webwork url on this site is http://oitwebwork1.oit.edu/webwork2
Use of uninitialized value $WeBWorK::Constants::PG_DIRECTORY in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WebworkClient.pm line 109.
WebworkSOAP::WSDL: webwork_directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 via $WeBWorK::Constants::WEBWORK_DIRECTORY set in webwork.apache2-config
WebworkSOAP::WSDL: rpc_url set to http://oitwebwork1.oit.edu/webwork2_rpc
WebworkWebservice: webwork_directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 via $WeBWorK::Constants::WEBWORK_DIRECTORY set in webwork.apache2-config
[Sat Jan 14 16:04:52 2017] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts

In reply to Jim Fischer

by Andras Balogh -
Read-only file system

This line suggests the whole server should be restarted and/or filesystem check should be done. Hopefully not a failed hard drive causing it. 

See 
http://askubuntu.com/questions/197459/how-to-fix-sudo-unable-to-open-read-only-file-system

Also, once the system is up again, maybe you could ask for 10GB more disk space from you IT. You only have 2.3GB (12%) free out of 19GB.

In reply to Andras Balogh

by Jim Fischer -
Thank you for this suggestions. I am in contact with my IT department and will pass this along.

15 minute later:

This fixed all problems. Hopefully we can figure out why it crashed in the first place.

I plan to archive the courses and have our backup server ready in case it happens again.

Thanks for all the help folks. Couldnt have done it without this forum.