Installation

Computer Science Problems

Computer Science Problems

by Eric Stroyan -
Number of replies: 3
Hope I am posting in the right place.
Our Computer Science teacher has an interest in using WeBWorK.
I have placed the Pace/Cornell files into a practice course. I appear to be missing some things, particularly javaAnswerEvaluators.pl. Where can I get this and where should it be placed? I guess what I am really asking is how to set up a system for CS so that student code input can be evaluated. I recall seeing something to that effect, but was not able to find how to set up a server to do so.
Any help is appreciated.
In reply to Eric Stroyan

Re: Computer Science Problems

by Michael Gage -
Hi Eric,

Good to hear from you again.  I haven't heard from the Pace/Cornell people
in a while so I don't think much of anything has been done on checking Java code recently.  I will look this weekend to so see if I can find any of the software associated with that project in my "files".  I was never able to get it running on a server locally -- mostly because it required getting JUnit to work and my Java skills were and aren't that great. 

However, -- these days a lot of CS programs are teaching Python and for that there is some active development by Goeff Goehle that you might be interested in.  You can start at webwork.maa.org/planet and scroll down to Goeff Geohle's post from May 01 2016. (for some reason the link to Geoff's blogspot isn't responding today -- but the post is preserved on our blog aggregator). The original post is at  http://webworkgoehle.blogspot.com/2016/04/python-in-webwork.html

He may have done more work that isn't documented yet, since he was helping CS professors at Western Carolina University with their courses.

-- Bug me this weekend if you still want the javaAnswerEvaluator files and I'll see what I can find.

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Computer Science Problems

by Michael Gage -
Here is a second. javaAnswerEvaluators.pl.

They are for delivery "as is" -- they haven't been used in some time
and I don't know how helpful they will be.

If you do come up with working WeBWorK questions please let us know.

You could write a blog post about it and send a note to me (gage@math.rochester.edu) to have your blog included in the blog

Meantime Goehle's blog post on assisting python language courses at
http://webwork.maa.org/planet should be of interest to many.