WeBWorK Main Forum

WeBWorK Problem Authoring - Summer Online Workshop

WeBWorK Problem Authoring - Summer Online Workshop

by John Travis -
Number of replies: 8
Please share the following with any folks you might think would be interested in a reprise of our well-received PREP workshop.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authoring Effective Homework Problems with WeBWork

Davide Cervone, Gavin LaRose, and John Travis
June 7, 14, 21, and 28, 2017

WeBWorK is an open source, web-based homework delivery system designed to make homework more effective and efficient for students of mathematics and the sciences. It has been used for over 15 years by hundreds of professors and in a wide variety of instructional environments.

Participants in this online workshop will develop the technical skills necessary to identify, edit and create high-quality WeBWorK problems. These skills will be cultivated through a series of four interactive web conferences and concurrent on-line group work. Participants will be challenged to formulate problems so that they not only validate skills but also foster learning. Design tips for enhancing problem presentation will be proposed. An additional preparatory web conference will be scheduled to provide an overview of the WeBWorK interface for participants with no prior experience.

Participants will become active in the greater WeBWorK community and make their own contributions to the WeBWork Open Problem Library. This workshop has been successfully offered three times in the past to well over 100 participants through the MAA PREP program. This reprise is not connected with PREP (which has expired) but will attempt to maintain its high standards.

To register, please send an email with the Subject "WeBWorK Problem Authoring Workshop" to drjt07@gmail.com .

Costs:
  • Advanced Deadline has passed ($150 first registrant from same university, $50 for up to 2 secondary participants - before May 16)
  • $200/$75 - May 16 or later
  • Send payment using PayPal.
  • Refunds - through PayPal - all but $25 if requested before June 1. If refund is requested for a primary registrant when there is a secondary registrant from the same institution then refund will be based on the secondary rate.
  • Send an email to drjt07@gmail.com with name and institution. Additional rate only available if there is an existing paid registration.
For more information about WeBWorK, please visit http://webwork.maa.org.
In reply to John Travis

Re: WeBWorK Problem Authoring - Summer Online Workshop

by Chrissy Safranski -
I'll pass this on to my colleagues! Are you thinking of doing an administrator one again, too?
In reply to Chrissy Safranski

by John Travis -
Thanks. There is not a plan at the moment to reprise the Sys Admin workshop but perhaps it could be arranged if there were sufficient interest.
In reply to John Travis

by John Travis -
There have been some questions regarding projected meeting times and recordings:

The four Wednesdays noted will be broken into "morning" and "afternoon" sessions of up to 2 hrs each. We expect the times to be 10am-noon and 2-4pm CENTRAL time. At this point we do have interest from folks both on the east and west coast so these time slots appears to be a good compromise.

Our plans include making some sort of recording for all sessions. At this juncture we are working out the online software to use and so are not quite certain in what form that will be. For those who might have to miss some of the sessions, the ideal thing would be for those instructors to review any of this saved material (including any online notes), and to connect with colleagues/fellow participants if possible. Everyone should still be able to work together on the online homework during the week between sessions and still progress normally.

In reply to John Travis

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Do participants take part in both sessions each Wednesday, or do they choose either morning or afternoon?
I'm interested in the workshop, but it lands in the middle of a summer session course I'm teaching, which will limit the amount of time I can commit.
In reply to Sean Fitzpatrick

by John Travis -
The plan is for participants to take part in both AM and PM sessions. Plans at the moment are for the AM session to be 10-noon Central and the PM session to be 2-4 Central. Adjust for your local time. They will be recorded so that you can view/review as needed.

Perhaps you can arrange your teaching shedule so that you give exams during the online meeting time. This might be a way to participate more and also manage your teaching schedule. Regardless, you can still do the asynchronous work between Wednesdays whenever your time permits.
In reply to John Travis

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Thanks.
Our timetable is set by the registrar's office, so I can't reschedule classes. Summer session is intensive; between lecture, tutorial, and consultation, I'm in the classroom 6 hours per day, and it wouldn't be a good idea to leave them unsupervised for tests.

I might be able to talk someone else in our department into participating, and I'll wait to watch the videos in July or August.
In reply to John Travis

by John Travis -
...Just a reminder that the deadline for the advance rate for this workshop is approaching. One more week before the price increases.

We also have a number of people who have emailed to register for this workshop. If you are interested then you might want to go ahead and register in case we have to close due to the number of participants.
In reply to John Travis

by John Travis -
We are looking forward to a great online workshop starting in a couple of weeks. Registration has been good thus far (almost 30 participants) but we can take a few more if you are interested in joining us.

Regular rates and now in effect but still a great deal at $200 for a primary participant and $75 for a secondary colleague. If interested, send an email to drjt07@gmail.com soon.

Also, a Workshop 0 covering the features of WeBWorK (designed for newbies) will be held on Monday, June 5 starting at 2pm Central time.

Please share this with any other interested colleagues.