WeBWorK Main Forum

Gateway Exam Issues

Gateway Exam Issues

by Dan Tarcel -
Number of replies: 9
Hi All,

I've received word from a instructor using WeBWork that students taking a gateway exam are experiencing issues. Two issues being reported are "time limit exceeded" and a grade of 0. The odd thing is the gateway exam does not have a time limit specified.

Is there anything specific I can look for to try to resolve this?
In reply to Dan Tarcel

Re: Gateway Exam Issues

by Andras Balogh -
I have no problem with gateway quizzes (other than students repeatedly failing them).

Looking at settings it looks like that no time limit results in defaulting to due date, so maybe the due date has passed already?

In reply to Andras Balogh

by Dan Tarcel -
Thanks for the fast reply! That was my guess as well, but the due date is set for 05/18/2017 at 11:59pm and answer date is set for 04/01/2020 at 11:59pm. Needless to say I'm at a complete lost for what could be going on and appreciate any input.
In reply to Dan Tarcel

by Danny Glin -
What exactly is the setting for the time limit? Is it 0 or blank?

Also, what is "Cap Test Time at Set Due Date" set to?

My guess is that if the latter is set to no, and the former is set to 0 or blank, then WeBWorK is setting a time limit of 0 minutes, which means that any submission will be too late.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Dan Tarcel -
Sure enough that looks like the issue at hand. "Cap Test Time at Set Due Date?" is set for "No" and "Test Time Limit (min; 0=Due Date)" is set to 0. If "Cap Test Time at Set Due Date" is set to Yes would that allow for attempts until the due date is reached?
In reply to Dan Tarcel

by Danny Glin -
That is the intended behaviour. With this configuration any test that is started before the due date should be open until the due date.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Dan Tarcel -
Thanks! I made that change and the instructor tested out the gateway, this time as expected the time limit exceeded message didn't appear but he still received a 0.

Viewing the attempt and using the check test button does show which answers he answered correctly and which he didn't. This also appears to be the case for all the students who took the gateway as well. Is there a option to do a re-grade such as the one in Moodle's quiz module?
In reply to Dan Tarcel

by Danny Glin -
There isn't a re-grade function in WeBWorK. I think someone wrote some scripts in the past that combed the answer log and re-submitted answers, but I'm not sure on the status of that.

When a student starts the test, do they get a "Grade Test" button or a "Check Test" button? The latter indicates that scores will not be recorded. Also, is the weight of each question something greater than 0?

In fact, it might help if you could post a screen shot of all the settings for the gateway quiz.