WeBWorK Main Forum

Making local copies of problems with static images

Making local copies of problems with static images

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Number of replies: 5
Frequently I come across a problem I like in the OPL that uses static images, but there is some text, notation, etc. that I want to edit because the original text doesn't quite fit with my course.

We've been finding that when we save the changes to a local file, the static image doesn't survive the trip. Is there a straightforward way to make local customizations to these problems and retain the static image?
In reply to Sean Fitzpatrick

Re: Making local copies of problems with static images

by Hedley Pinsent -
See attachment; not sure if it is straightforward but it is the best I could do.

I am working on dynamic graphics where each student gets a scale diagram of their particular version of the problem. I have a fair bit done on triangle trigonometry that is not yet shared - seems a moving target. I can pass it on sooner that later if that is what you are also doing.

The example in the attachment (the river): that one would be a 3D problem in my scheme of things and I am not that far along yet. I have to clean up the 2D stuff before I can even start that.

Anyway hope it helps.

Hedley

In reply to Hedley Pinsent

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
OK, thanks. We can get it to work by using SFTP access to pull the file from the server (our server is headless and in another building; no physical access) and then uploading, but this isn't ideal:

- Most course instructors do not have administrative access to the server, and I don't really want them calling me up every time they need a file moved.

- It's quite time consuming compared to making edits to other problems.

- Combining the above points means that a typical instructor would probably decide not to use that problem!

For example, the following problem chooses 9 of a dozen or so static images to render the problem (and the file naming, and code in general, are not exactly user friendly relative to other problems):

Library/Hope/Multi1/02-02-Linear-systems/Geometry_06/Geometry_06.pg

If I wanted to use this problem, but wanted to re-write the instructions in the first paragraph to reflect different context/notation, I'd be looking at quite a bit of work!

We were hoping there might be a simpler way.

by Michael Gage -
It's a fairly clear cut project to transfer the auxiliary files when you transfer the .pg file. Unfortunately it's not yet at the top of my stack. :-(.

The important underpinnings have been available for a while. See the "resources" tab which by default is shown to "admin" users. http://webworkgoehle.blogspot.com/2016/05/release-212.html (Translator Refactor and Advanced Problem Debugging)

This collects all of the auxiliary files used by the .pg problem into a PGresources object. It is then a matter of looping through these file addresses and deciding which files need to be aliased, which ones need to be copied, and so forth, when you move a problem.

I believe there is some code that transfers .png files this when a .pg file that is being edited is saved in a temporary location (i.e. use the View tab instead of the Update tab in PGEditor3). I couldn't find it immediately however. If it's there that could be used as a partial model.

A similar project would be to download the appropriate auxiliary files when you download a .tex output of a homework set. That way you could use WeBWorK to create exams and just print them out, without having to manually find the figures and download them separately.

If anyone has the time to tackle this soon that would be great.

-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Thanks! With "Show Auxiliary Resources" checked I can see the paths for the files, which presumably could then be copied into the code for the local version of the problem.
This does unfortunately retain the downside that instructor accounts don't have the necessary admin privileges, but it could be useful. I'll pass this along.

by Michael Gage -
You can set permissions so that those extra buttons are shown to professors.
(set in localOverrides or in course.conf)

For the default setting it was thought best to avoid confusion and only make them available to the administrators.