Installation

upgraded 2.12 to 2.13 now apache2 won't start

upgraded 2.12 to 2.13 now apache2 won't start

by George Jennings -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,
apache2 won't start after I upgraded from version 2.12 to 2.13 on a Ubuntu 16.04 laptop that I use for testing. (version 2.12 worked fine.) I "git-pulled" the new version from github (webwork2 master branch), added the new perl mocules as recommended by check_modules.pl and updated the configuration files but I must have screwed something up because apache2 fails to start and gives this error message:

"Job for apache2.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status apache2.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details."

systemctl status apache2.service says

(in cleanup) Could not evaluate global environment file
/home/gjennings/webwork/webwork2/conf/defaults.config: Include file /home/gjennings/webwork/webwork2/conf/site.conf did not return a true value. at (eval 22) line 16.
at /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/webwork.conf line 68.
AH00526: Syntax error on line 45 of /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/webwork.conf:
Include file /home/gjennings/webwork/webwork2/conf/site.conf did not return a true value. at (eval 22) line 16.\n
Action 'configtest' failed.

/etc/apache2/conf-enabled/webwork.conf is a link to webwork.apache2.4-config
The first line that I customized in that file is line 50 "my webwork_dir = ..." so I think that file is not the problem. The error appears to be in site.conf

But the only differences between site.conf and site.conf.dist are the variables that must be customized, and these all look OK. Also the file and everything in its path is world-readable.

So I'm stumped. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
In reply to George Jennings

Re: upgraded 2.12 to 2.13 now apache2 won't start

by Michael Gage -
It certainly looks like the problem is with site.conf. You might be able to get rid of the warning by putting

1;

at the end of the file, but I suspect the problem is a syntax error in the file -- perhaps some quotes don't match? It's even possible that the lack of matching quotes actually occurs in the site.conf.dist file since it never gets
checked by a compiler.

Try running just

perl site.conf

and see if you get syntax errors.