Installation

Apache will not start when attempt to include LTI

Apache will not start when attempt to include LTI

by Randal Dalhoff -
Number of replies: 4
We are running version WeBWorK-2.13 and pg_version PG-2.13. It appears to run okay, but when we try to start the LTI facility the apache webserver code will not start. I get the error below. Only thing that I did was remove the # comment on the line 'include("conf/authen_LTI.conf");' in the localOverrides.conf file. The authen_LTI.conf file seems set up okay.

Weird part is that in trying to figure out the problem I replace the above line with 'include("conf/'authen.conf");' where the authen.conf file only had one line in it of "#test". Starting apache with this include gave the identical error that the original include did. So it seems that the 'include' command is messing up.

Any ideas to help me?

[root@webworktest ~]$ apachectl start
[Thu Aug 03 18:38:33 2017] [warn] module apreq_module is already loaded, skipping
(in cleanup) Could not evaluate global environment file /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/defaults.config: Include file /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/localOverrides.conf did not return a true value. at (eval 34) line 16.
at /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/webwork.apache2-config line 68.
Syntax error on line 45 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/webwork.apache2-config:
Include file /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/localOverrides.conf did not return a true value. at (eval 34) line 16.\n\t(in cleanup) Could not evaluate global environment file /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/defaults.config: Include file /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/localOverrides.conf did not return a true value. at (eval 34) line 16.\n at /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/webwork.apache2-config line 68.\n

In reply to Randal Dalhoff

Re: Apache will not start when attempt to include LTI

by Michael Gage -
"Include file /opt/webwork/webwork2/conf/localOverrides.conf did not return a true value. at (eval 34) line 16."

Chances are there is a perl syntax error in the localOverrides.conf. The config files are read as perl files.

Try

perl localOverrides.conf

and look for syntax errors.

There may be some undefined variable warnings which would not be significant but it may spot mismatched parentheses or mismatched quotes.
In reply to Michael Gage

by Randal Dalhoff -
I had already tried that and this is the result:
[wwadmin@webworktest conf]$ perl localOverrides.conf
Undefined subroutine &main::include called at localOverrides.conf line 397.

I even tried replacing the 'include' with 'require' which passed the perl run test, but found an error in the authen_LTI.conf file. I had put a $ in the $LTIBasicConsumerSecret variable which was causing the problem. Forgot to escape it.

All is well now.

In reply to Michael Gage

by Randal Dalhoff -
Related somewhat to this.

Is there a way to do local authentication as well as authenticate from the Canvas LMS system? Now when I go to our WeBWorK server and try to work, I get the message "XXXXXX uses an external authentication system (e.g., Oncourse, CAS, Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas, etc.). Please return to system you used and try again."
In reply to Michael Gage

by Randal Dalhoff -
Never mind, I just found the $external_auth=0; option in the authen_LTI.conf file.