WeBWorK Main Forum

Typos in webwork.maa.org/wiki/LTI-Advanced_Authentication

Typos in webwork.maa.org/wiki/LTI-Advanced_Authentication

by Andrew Dabrowski -
Number of replies: 1
At http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/LTI-Advanced_Authenticatio, under Automatic Student Account Management, I read

The LTIAdvanced module can be set up to automatically manage and create student accounts in WeBWorK. In particular if a student does not have an account in WeBWorK then the first time they log in a WeBWorK account will be created for them. The username will be determined by $preferred_source_of_username and they will automatically be assigned all "visible" homework sets. Now you should be all set up. You can test it out by creating a test student in your LMS and using the link to log into the LMS from WeBWorK. The log into WeBWorK should not require a password, the WeBWorK user for the student should be automatically created, and the user should also automatically be assigned all "visible" homework sets. In particular you should keep the following in mind about automatic account creation.

• Students created via the LMS will not have neither a student id nor an initial password. In particular they will not be able to log into WeBWorK directly. The $external_authentication is set to one by default and actually prevents them from seeing the WeBWorK login page. They will need to log in via the LMS unless you get fancy.

I may well just be completely confused, but shouldn't the phrase "using the link to log into the LMS from WeBWorK" actually read "using the link to log into WeBWorK from the LMS"? I'm new to the whole LTI thing so I may well have this backwards.

Also, in the first bullet point, the first "not" should be deleted.
In reply to Andrew Dabrowski

Re: Typos in webwork.maa.org/wiki/LTI-Advanced_Authentication

by Michael Gage -
Hi Andrew,

You are right. I've fixed the typo. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of the forum.

I also added some references to the forum to help clarify which LTI settings provide certain behaviors. There are a lot of possible setting combinations and it is not easy to predict theoretically what the effects will be without experimentation.

-- Mike