WeBWorK Problems

finding problems from specific texts

finding problems from specific texts

by Debbie Yuster -
Number of replies: 1
This fall I'll be teaching courses from Beginning Algebra by Lial, Hornsby, and McGinnis, and from Mathematics: An Applied Approach, by Sullivan and Mizrachi. I'd love to use problems created from these texts, if anyone's coded them. I didn't see either of them listed in the titles in the NPL sets. Is there any way to search by text? I thought I read something about problems having info like this embedded in tags.

Anyone happen to know whether problems from these books have been coded and uploaded to the NPL?

Thanks,
Debbie
In reply to Debbie Yuster

Re: finding problems from specific texts

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Debbie,

If you have the NPL installed you should be able to search it by textbook. Accordingly, if you don't have it installed, you may want to see if you can grab it so as to have that functionality.

The information about the textbook a problem is associated with is embedded in the problem for the problems that are in the NPL. For example, a problem should have comments similar to the following, which are used to build the NPL database that allows searching for problems.

## KEYWORDS('calculus','function','rate of change','linear equations')
## DBsubject('Calculus')
## DBchapter('Functions and Models')
## DBsection('Four Ways to Represent a Function')
## Author('Gavin LaRose');
## Institution('University of Michigan')
## TitleText1('Calculus')
## EditionText1('4')
## EditionText2('5')
## AuthorText1('Hughes-Hallett')
## AuthorText2('Hughes-Hallett')
## Section1('1.1')
## Section2('1.1')
## Problem1('9')
## Problem2('11')

All that said, I don't know if there are any problems in the NPL from the two textbooks you indicate.

Gavin