WeBWorK Main Forum

Due date by section

Due date by section

by Valerio De Angelis -
Number of replies: 6
I am teaching three sections of the same course, with identical homework, and it is of course easier to enroll all students in the same Webwork course. But because I assign a few Webwork problems during class as classwork (with due date at the end of class) I have the dilemma of how to set different due dates for the different sections for just those classwork sets. I know I could change the due date one student at a time, but with over 20 students per section and daily classwork assignments, that is not an option. So I wonder if there is a way to change the due date for all students in a given section.
Thanks for any help.
In reply to Valerio De Angelis

Re: Due date by section

by Alex Jordan -
First, make sure the students have either their "section" or "recitation" field filled in (in the Classlist Editor) so there is an easy way to separate them. It doesn't matter which.

Then click "Instructor Tools". You can filter to one particular group of students by section or recitation, and then highlight them all. You can click on one set, and there is a button that is something like "change dates in one set for all selected students". I believe you need to change the dates _and_ check a box that confirms you want the date changed.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Joel Trussell -
This just came up at our department. I tried using section and I can get separation of the students by section. I highlight those - in this case I set just 5 students in a section. Than I select (highlight) a problem set. there is no button on the right for "change dates in one set for all selected students". there is a button to "Assign selected users to selected sets"

but then I'm lost I assign a different set of students to the same set and I don't see how to change the due date for only one set of students.

Please point me to what I'm missing

thanks

In reply to Joel Trussell

by Valerio De Angelis -
After you filter the students by section and highlight all of them, choose the set for which you want to change the date on the right, then click the button towards the bottom of the page that says "Edit one set for users" and then you can change the due date for that group of students.
In reply to Valerio De Angelis

by Joel Trussell -
Thanks - I edited the instructions for my instructors as

Enter the students’ "section" or "recitation" field filled in (in the Classlist Editor) so there is an easy way to separate them. It doesn't matter which.

Then click "Instructor Tools". You can filter to one particular group of students by section or recitation click on the section or recitation in the filter window, then click the “change display setting" button. That gives a list of the students in the section you wish. , Highlight them all. In the right-hand window, you can click on one set(assignment), then click the button towards the bottom of the page that says "Edit one set for users" and then you can change the due date for that group of students.