Installation

Hybrid non-LTI/LTI?

Hybrid non-LTI/LTI?

by Sara Nagreen -
Number of replies: 5
Hi: Our University is moving from Moodle to Canvas. Some courses are already on Canvas, a couple are not. I have LTI authentication setup for Canvas and we have a few courses using it. It works fine.

However, the Moodle course, which is NOT setup for LTI authentication (and probably won't be due to the fact it is end of lifed) wants to do a midterm review homework, ungraded.

I thought I could just create a new course, import a course list, import the midterm homework, and assign it to the students. The students, however, I getting the notice "you must log into this set via your Learning Management System". They CAN click the icon to the left of the name of the homework to download a PDF of it, but they can't take it on the server.

My question...is there any way that I can have both an LTI login for some courses and non-LTI logins for other courses on the same server?
In reply to Sara Nagreen

Re: Hybrid non-LTI/LTI?

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Sara,

We have this type of set up here. We accomplish it by enabling LTI in the course.conf configuration file. For example, at the end of the file, I add the line.

include("conf/authen_LTI.conf");

Then any course without this requires logins through the default authentication as defined in the system configuration, and this course uses LTI. I don't think there were other changes beyond the usual LTI configuration that ended up being required.

Gavin
In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Sara Nagreen -
So, I went and looked at the courses where we do want LTI to work, and that line is absent from our configuration. Then I looked at the course.conf for the course where I don't want it to work, and that line is absent as well.

So, I suspect that I have something that is defaulting LTI to "on" in my Authen_LTI.conf for all of my courses, bypassing whatever is in my course.conf for each course.

I do have my #$external_auth=1 line commented out.

In reply to Sara Nagreen

by Danny Glin -
You most likely have LTI turned on globally, which means that these lines are probably included in localOverrides.conf.

It sounds like in your case it would be more efficient to go the other way: leave LTI turned on globally, and turn it off for individual courses.

I believe adding the following to course.conf should revert to WeBWorK internal authentication for a given course:

$authen{user_module} = {
"*" => "WeBWorK::Authen::Basic_TheLastOption",
};

$external_auth=0;

In reply to Danny Glin

by Sara Nagreen -
So I tried this, and it's still not working.

So I experimented:

Things that I tried and failed....
*I tried to vary the braces (some use {}, some use []), but neither work.
*I tried copying what I have in Authen_LTI.conf and just removing the LTI part.
*I tried removing external_auth=0 entirely,
*I tried enclosing the entire statement in single paratheses (some of the other statements enclose their contents in single paratheses.)

I'm still perplexed about why this isn't working.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Sara Nagreen -
I went and commented out the include line in local_overrides and then did the individual lines in the relevant course.conf files that needed LTI access. That did work.

Thanks.