Installation

Can't log in (admin) with a new install

Can't log in (admin) with a new install

by Jay Belanger -
Number of replies: 3
I just installed WebWorks on my computer. It's Debian 9, so I used the ww_install script from

https://github.com/openwebwork/ww_install/pull/6

The installation went well, but when I go to the web page, select Course Administration, and then enter the username: admin and password: admin, I get the error message

Your authentication failed. Please try again. Please speak
with your instructor if you need help.

I assume that the install script used adminClasslist.lst to create the admin class, and here it contains:

# $Id: adminClasslist.lst,v 1.2 2009-06-26 00:58:52 gage Exp $

# Field order: student_id,last_name,first_name,status,comment,section,recitation,email_address,us
er_id,password,permission

admin,Administrator,,C,,,,,admin,.bxpcera4I/bg,20

So I tried using .bxpcera4I/bg and various substrings as the password, with no luck.

I'm sure I'm doing/not doing something silly, but I was hoping someone could help me out.

Thanks,
Jay

In reply to Jay Belanger

Re: Can't log in (admin) with a new install

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Jay,

Did you follow the instructions in the README file for pull 6? Specifically "for some reason WeBWorK fails to work with MariaDB as installed from the Debian package so we use the package from mariadb.org." Your error is exactly what I experienced using MariaDB from the Debian package. If you want to use pull 6, see my comments from Dec 18 near the bottom of the long comments (apizer commented on Dec 18, 2017) where I give exact instructions. You have probably already used pull 6 successfully but the comments may help others.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Jay Belanger -
Thanks Arnie,

I double-checked, I did use the repository from mariadb.org. I made sure the latest mariadb components were installed, and for some reason both mariadb 10.1 and 10.2 were installed. I tried removing the 10.1 versions, deleting the /opt/webworks directory and reinstalling using the instructions you have. For some reason, mariadb 10.1 got reinstalled next to 10.2. And now I have the same problem. I'll retry tomorrow.

Jay

In reply to Jay Belanger

by Jay Belanger -
I ended up installing Lubuntu 16.04 and then following your instructions to the letter; it worked great!
(It probably would have worked out fine with Debian, but I'm sure I did weird things when I installed it.)