WeBWorK Problems

NumberWithUnits Failure

NumberWithUnits Failure

by Simon Wanderer -
Number of replies: 4
Hey guys,

I noticed my number with unit call fails when I use it with variables defined within maths mode like

$a = random(50, 90, 10);
$b = Compute("2*9.8*$a");
$v = Compute("sqrt{$b}") -> reduce();
$t = Compute("2*$v/9.8") -> reduce();

$velocity = NumberWithUnits($v, "m/s");
$time = NumberWithUnits($t, "s");

When I use the answer checkers below, it returns just the values of the variables as answers, so that adding the units as part of the answer gives a warning sign that says "Variable [unit] is not defined in this context"

ANS(num_cmp($velocity));
ANS( num_cmp($Answer2) );

Now when I used the same NumberWithUnits function in some other question without math mode answer, the answers are stored with units. Am I doing something wrong, if so, how can I right it?.

Thanks,

Simon.
In reply to Simon Wanderer

Re: NumberWithUnits Failure

by Alex Jordan -
Try:

ANS($velocity->cmp());
ANS($Answer2->cmp());

and see if the problem persists. Failing that, try

$velocity = NumberWithUnits("$v", "m/s");
$time = NumberWithUnits("$t", "s");

to pass strings to NumberWithUnits instead of complete Math Objects.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Simon Wanderer -
Thanks @ Alex Jordan

I have tried both your suggestions before I posted to this forum, the first returned my expression for velocity in unreduced form e.g. \root{somenumber} without unit, the second gave me same as using a math object anyways.

From what I have seen on the documentation on this wiki, there's a conflicting idea of how the function should be called; 

1. NumberWithUnits("$v", "m/s");
2. NumberWithUnits($v, "m/s");
3. NumberWithUnits("$v m/s");

All failed in my case.
In reply to Simon Wanderer

by Alex Jordan -
Hi Simon,

In my testing, if $a, $b, $v, and $velocityN are defined to be:

$a = random(50, 90, 10);
$b = Compute("2*9.8*$a");
$v = Compute("sqrt{$b}") -> reduce();
$velocity1 = NumberWithUnits("$v", "m/s");
$velocity2 = NumberWithUnits($v, "m/s");
$velocity3 = NumberWithUnits("$v m/s");

Then with seed 1684:

TEXT($velocity1,$PAR,$velocity2,$PAR,$velocity3,$PAR);
prints all three as
37.0405 m/s

And for all three, if I enter "37.0405 m/s" as an answer in the following, it is counted as correct without any error that "m" is a variable not defined in the context.

BEGIN_TEXT
\{ans_rule(10)\}
$PAR
\{ans_rule(10)\}
$PAR
\{ans_rule(10)\}
$PAR
END_TEXT
ANS($velocity1->cmp());
ANS($velocity2->cmp());
ANS($velocity3->cmp());

However, with $velocity2, the correct answer column of the feedback table does not show "37.0405 m/s" (which is what $velocity1 and $velocity3 show). Instead, it shows the LaTeX from \sqrt{1372}. The correct_ans_latex_string is being derived from the original Compute call on $v. That is probably a bug.

If I change all the use of Compute() here to use Real() instead, then the issue with the correct_ans_latex_string is not present. All three show "37.0405 m/s" in the correct answer column.

This issue with the correct_ans_latex_string in the correct answer column is the only part I can reproduce. I don't get the unwanted \sqrt{1372} when I print these expressions. And I don't get messages about "m" being undefined anywhere from entering "37.0405 m/s" or entering "sqrt(1372) m/s".

Can you post a full (but maybe minimal) problem file where you are seeing this behavior? Also, what version of webwork and pg are you using?

Alex
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Davide Cervone -
I have made a pull request to fix the problem with missing until in the second case. With the fix, that one should show the correct answer with a square root and units.