WeBWorK Main Forum

Sequential Assignments

Sequential Assignments

by Scott Lynch -
Number of replies: 4
I'm looking to create laddered, or scaffold assignments. Specifically, I want to create a homework set with unlimited attempts, but must get 100% correct. Once that score is achieved I want to use webwork to unlocks a quiz over the same material that is taken once for a grade. The idea is to force practice before allowing students to take the graded event. I'm not seeing any options in the HWSets editor that allows the 'opens' option to be an event instead of a date. I am aware that scaffold.pl can do this internal to an assignment, but I'm looking to do this between assignments. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Scott Lynch
In reply to Scott Lynch

Re: Sequential Assignments

by Michael Gage -
Have you tried selecting the "just in time" version of homework sets and considering:
Restrict Problem Progression

I think it could do what you want. You can't do subsequent problems until
previous problems have been completed correctly.

Take care,
Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by Scott Lynch -
I looked and read about Just In Time, and it is close to what I want, but not exactly. I'm looking to have two separate assignments with one being a gateway to the other, as opposed to one assignment that drills down to more fundamental problems until a student understands the concept. The idea is to have the first assignment be graded in webwork to ensure correctness, but not count that assignment towards an overall course grade. I then want to have the second assignment be a one time quiz that counts for a grade. This would force students to spend time practicing and studying before taking a graded assessment.

Scott
In reply to Scott Lynch

by Michael Gage -
Hi Scott,

You can do that too --- thanks to Jason Aubrey and Robin Cruz for reminding.

You have to enable "conditional release" -- it's what I was looking for
but I had forgotten that you need to enable it from the Course
Configuration page first. Read this carefully:

Use the restrict release by sets input field that now appears on the
homework set editor for a particular homework set -- there is a question
mark there which will give you a little help balloon.

-- Mike