WeBWorK Main Forum

Trouble with student emails

Trouble with student emails

by John Sylvester -
Number of replies: 3
I am relaying a message that my wife sent to maaservice@maa.org five days ago. She has not received a reply. I hope someone can help.
---------------------------------------------

Seattle University currently has 9 active WeBWorK sites. I haven't checked all of them, but on at least 3 of them, students use the 'Email Instructor' and get a confirmation that 'the email has been successfully sent'. However, the instructors are NOT receiving those emails. I have checked and the correct email addresses are in the Course Configuration. Do you have any advise about how to fix this issue?

Donna Sylvester (dsylvest@seattleu.edu)

-------------------------------------------

PS: We tried changing the email address to mine (sylvest@uw.edu), which is not a SeattleU address. I didn't receive any emails.
In reply to John Sylvester

Re: Trouble with student emails

by Alex Jordan -
I used to find some of them in my spam filter. Then at some point the school's IT got a better spam filter running, so I don't see this anymore. But it's worth checking if that is the explanation.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by John Sylvester -
We both checked. Nothing in spam, and I am regularly receiving emails from the UW webwork course "Washington-Math307C". We compared configurations and don't see any differences.
In reply to John Sylvester

by John Sylvester -
We resolved this issue a few weeks ago, but I thought I would mention the "gotcha' in case anyone else encounters it. It turns out that courses1.webwork.maa.org was 'banned"(blacklisted) by the SeattleU email server. This was easy enough to get fixed once we realized that this was the case.

The gotcha was that all the students and faculty had .seattleu email addresses,so no one received the bounceback messages. One instructor, who was smart enough to enroll himself with his personal gmail address, finally saw that the emails were being bounced.