WeBWorK Main Forum

MAA is no longer offering subscription services for WeBWorK?

MAA is no longer offering subscription services for WeBWorK?

by tim Payer -
Number of replies: 8
Did anyone else know about this?
The folks at the front desk of the MAA 1-800-331-1622 are telling folks that they will no longer be offering subscriptions to WeBWorK starting now.

As of yet there is no alternative being offered?
I am awaiting a call-back from a Cheryl Adams: 202-319-8462

Please tell me that there is a solution to this abrupt change in policy.
Our small school does not have tech folks to support the server required.
The alternative is to not use webwork?

Tim
In reply to tim Payer

Re: MAA is no longer offering subscription services for WeBWorK?

by Alex Jordan -
I don't know anything about the MAA situation.

The PCC server can take emergency cases. Write me at alex.jordan@pcc.edu. Please note that this week I will be doing an upgrade to version 2.15, and I will wait to create new courses until that is complete.
In reply to tim Payer

by Mike May -
You may also want to look at Edfinity, a commercial hosting service.
In reply to Mike May

by Bob Carmichael -
Hi - Bob from Edfinity here. We are happy to help. Edfinity fully supports the WeBWorK problem format. We have onboarded several educators/institutions, transitioning them seamlessly from WeBWorK hosting (both MAA and private) to Edfinity. We can import your courses or you can start with one of our pre-built courses at edfinity.com/catalog.

More details at edfinity.com/webwork - please contact us anytime at hello@edfinity.com.
In reply to tim Payer

by John Travis -
This appears to be a glitch in communications with the call center. Hang loose for a bit while the folks at MAA get on the same page.

My understanding is that you can expect the same service that you have come to expect (with perhaps even some improved customer service) for the Spring semester.

John Travis
In reply to John Travis

by tim Payer -
Thank John,

We eager await your next posting....

Tim
In reply to tim Payer

by John Sylvester -
Is it time for those of us who have been relying on the MAA server to commit to other arrangements?

thanks
John

In reply to John Sylvester

by tim Payer -
A brief update on the MAA offering subscriptions:

The MAA will resume subscription services for WeBWorK in about 10-12 days.
According to Cheryl Adams, a supervisor to the front desk at the MAA, 202-319-8462, there is a re-application process for subscription services that the MAA must submit to every 2 to 3 years and they got behind in the procedure this year.

It was a miscommunication that prompted a receptionist to report to anyone who called the front desk that subscriptions would not be offered anymore.

Tim
In reply to tim Payer

by John Travis -
The call center is now accepting hosting requests as in the past. Things have apparently been straightened out internally and all is well and good. See Tim's note above as well for some details if desired.