WeBWorK Main Forum

set definition files

set definition files

by John Sylvester -
Number of replies: 2
I am confused about set definition files. I started with a homework set "setM307-hw01", which I thought was associated with a directory "setM307-hw01/" and a set definition file, "setM307-hw01.def". I used the homework sets editor to make extensive changes, adding 6 new problems and deleting some problems. I saved the changes, and logged out.

The next day, the homework appears in the homework sets editor to be exactly as it should be; all changes are there. However, if I view the "setM307-hw01.def" file using the file manager, it is unchanged. Is there another file somewhere within the templates directory that is recording these changes?

All these assignments are currently on a VM running on my desktop computer, and I intend to upload them to the MAA server for the course I will begin teaching in January. I am concerned that, if I don't include the right files in the archive, I will lose the changes.

Thanks for any advice. Feel free to just point me to some documentation.

In reply to John Sylvester

Re: set definition files

by John Sylvester -
Sorry to waste everyone's time. I now understand that the ".def" are created by the "export" process in the homework sets editor, and that's why they didn't change until I chose to export the homework sets.
In reply to John Sylvester

Re: set definition files

by Joel Trussell -
The def file doesn't change until it is exported. Export all the visible files to update the *.def files