WeBWorK Main Forum

Equations won't display after upgrade

Equations won't display after upgrade

by Bianca Sosnovski -
Number of replies: 4
Hello everyone!

Is anyone experiencing any problem with displaying equations after an upgrade of the system?

Our College's WeBWorK was working just fine but last week I upgraded the system to latest version 2.15. Since then my colleagues and I noticed that math equations won't show in the problems. It seems that it depends on the computer used, though.

For example, my laptop (Mac OS) shows equations only I change course configuration to display "Images" instead of "MathJax". And that happens in all three web browsers installed (Chrome, Safari and Firefox). Even if I get it to shows the equations, graphic elements of the WeBWorK page (blue buttons, etc) are not showing. This how it looks:

eddwCnp.png

On my desktop at work (Windows), this problem doesn't happen at all. It shows equation and complete WW pages in either "Images" and "MathJax" modes (see screenshot below).

MeqHfsk.jpg

On my colleague's desktop neither display mode works.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I thought to roll back the upgrade but not sure if it is a good idea. If I remember well during the upgrade an extra column was added to the database.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

In reply to Bianca Sosnovski

Re: Equations won't display after upgrade

by Bianca Sosnovski -
Just a quick update: the issue with the Webwork page's elements not displaying well as in first screenshot above seems to happen with a single account (have no idea why).

So the main issue is really to display the math in the problems. For now, I'm asking our instructors to change their display mode from "MathJax" to "Images". It solves the issue for most of them but not all.

by Glenn Rice -
If you have upgraded the MathJax code from GitHub, then you will need to check out the legacy-v2 branch. See "Information for download" on the page https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2.

The wording there needs to be changed from "If you also need an earlier branch of MathJax then run" to something like "This needs to be done for all versions of WeBWorK".

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Bianca,

You probably need to execute git checkout legacy-v2 in the MathJax directory. See this discussion: http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=4683

Lars