WeBWorK Main Forum

Assigning differen quizzes to different groups of students

Assigning differen quizzes to different groups of students

by Michael Gage -
Number of replies: 5

Due to COVID-19 we are rushing classes to online format. 

I am ahead of everybody because I have Webwork for homework but never used it for exams. 

Q.  to conduct an exam, I made up 3 different exams, now I want to assign these to different students, say I divide my class into 3 groups. how do I do that?    -- I only know how to assign homework, necte used tests (if there is such a thing). 

Ever J. Barbero, Ph.D., F.ASME, F.SAMPE

In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Assigning differen quizzes to different groups of students

by Alex Jordan -
You could use the Classlist Editor to assign each student to a "Section", say "A", "B", and "C". Then you could use the Instructor Tools to filter only students in "Section A" and assign one exam to them. And so on.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Paul Vojta -
I (or actually someone else, on whose behalf I am asking) am planning on using this approach to assign different tests to two different groups of students in a 500-student course.
However, in the "Instructor Tools" page, there seems to be no way of selecting all displayed students. Does anybody see a way around this? (I'm willing and able to hack the source code to do this.)
In reply to Paul Vojta

by Michael Gage -
Using command-A doesn't work (it selects all elements of the whole page, not the list). However shift-click will select a range and
command click will select a collection of students from the list. (this is on a mac -- translate the control keys for windows and unix)
Works for me.
In reply to Michael Gage

by Paul Vojta -
Thanks! (I'd forgotten about shift-click.)
In reply to Michael Gage

by Danny Glin -
WeBWorK offers the Gateway Quiz Mode intended for timed exams.

If you are looking to randomize the questions on the exam (beyond just the randomization within a given WeBWorK problem), then you can also use the Problem Group functionality within a Gateway Quiz.  This would allow you to assign one set to all students, but different students would get different questions.