WeBWorK Main Forum

Advice on separate grades for quizzes with LTI course grade mode

Advice on separate grades for quizzes with LTI course grade mode

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

Like a lot of people I'm suddenly trying to figure out how to adapt assessments to remote teaching. (And I'm very thankful to have WeBWorK as part of that!)

I've always used WeBWorK for homework and not for quizzes. Now I'm thinking of adding some quizzes in to replace ones done in class.

The trouble is that my course is set up using LTI integration with Moodle, and set to the course grade mode -- so students have a single WeBWorK grade based on their cumulative total.

If I add some quizzes, I'd want those grades to be separate.

Options I've come up with:

1. Add a second WeBWorK course for this, with LTI set to grade by assessment. (Not too hard since I'm our WeBWorK admin.)

2. Run the quiz on the main course, download the grades once it closes, and then remove the quiz. (or set the weight to zero)

Is there a better way to do this?

I hope everyone is staying safe and sane out there...

In reply to Sean Fitzpatrick

Re: Advice on separate grades for quizzes with LTI course grade mode

by Alex Jordan -

I can tell you what most people do here, which is not ideal. People either turn off grade passback altogether, or they hide it from student view in the LMS (Brightspace). Turning it off, you have to manually enter grades into the LMS when you think it is the right time. Weekly? Hiding it has been more about not confusing students than about separating homework from quizzes. I guess for separation, turning off grade passback and then manually copying/exporting/importing grades would is the only solution from those two options. But it adds that manual step.

> 1. Add a second WeBWorK course for this, with LTI set to grade by assessment. (Not too hard since I'm our WeBWorK admin.)

The thing that has always kept me from using passback by assessment is that with our LMS (and probably others), you create External Learning Tool links to each assessment. Say you have 12 quizzes, you will have 12 ELT links in your LMS. OK, not so bad if it is a one-time investment. But then next term you copy your LMS course, and the ELT links are still pointing to the old WW course. So you have to hit all 12 of those ELT links and update their addresses to point to the new WW course. I can't trust myself, let alone the other faculty here, to always get all that doe right. The small disaster is when a student starts doing work and they're doing it in the wrong WW course.

In reply to Alex Jordan

Re: Advice on separate grades for quizzes with LTI course grade mode

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Thanks. I used passback by assessment once. The main problem was that students would do things like this: they want to work on homework #5. But they click the LTI link for Homework #2 to log into WeBWorK, and then navigate within WeBWorK to Homework #5. But until they've clicked the Homework #5 link at least once, WeBWorK denies access. And then they email me to complain. So I gave up on it for that reason.