WeBWorK Main Forum

Is there a way to recover the original version of a rerandomized problem?

Is there a way to recover the original version of a rerandomized problem?

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Number of replies: 2

One of our instructors is trying to document cheating by a student who posted his whole WeBWorK assignment to Chegg. She has several exact matches with his work already (which really should be enough: three matches in a row for problems with good randomization is unlikely to be by chance).

The one that doesn't match has 25 attempts by the student, so a new version has been generated several times. Is there any way to recover the original seed or version to see if that also matches the one on Chegg?

In reply to Sean Fitzpatrick

Re: Is there a way to recover the original version of a rerandomized problem?

by Alex Jordan -

In webwork2/logs/ you might find the transaction log for the particular course. I just looked at one such file from our server, and it has lines like:

[Time_Stamp] Problem_Number    Name_of_Problem_Set    student_ID    Path_To_Problem_File    1    -1    Problem_Seed    1

These files can be large. The one I looked at is over 3MB. But if you can filter the lines by the student's ID, then you can see things. Assuming the logging is all working as intended.

In reply to Alex Jordan

Re: Is there a way to recover the original version of a rerandomized problem?

by Sean Fitzpatrick -

Perfect, thanks.

I couldn't find it the answer log visible from the web interface so this is exactly what I was looking for.