WeBWorK Main Forum

Free WeBWorK hosting for Fall

Free WeBWorK hosting for Fall

by Alex Jordan -
Number of replies: 5

In a partnership with Runestone Academy, we are offering free WeBWorK hosting for the Fall. If you would like a WeBWorK course, contact me (alex.jordan@pcc.edu) to express your interest. I will initialize a course for you, and offer some assistance with setting things up if you are a first-time WeBWorK user. Depending on how many people take us up on this, I may be able to help you customize your course.

For a more general Runestone Academy blog post and some demonstration courses, see:
https://www.runestoneinteractive.com/2020/08/23/webwork.html

Again, this is free for the Fall. First of all, we know that in this era of remote teaching, some faculty have not been able to find an online homework solution. Especially one that has no cost. So at one level this is an emergency service response for the times we are in.

Second, we will use this effort as an experiment to determine what server and manpower expenses are. For disclosure, starting in 2021, this would become a funded service. It may cost something (per course, not per student), or we may have success in finding public funding. If you use this service in the Fall but do not want to pay for it in the Winter/Spring, remember that this is vanilla WeBWorK and all your content is easily ported to another place should the need arise.

In reply to Alex Jordan

Re: Free WeBWorK hosting for Fall

by Alex Jordan -

There is now a course request intake form and a FAQ about this at:

https://www.runestoneinteractive.com/pages/webwork.html

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Diana Hales -
The word free always seduces me. However, I was wandering what will be the specifications that are included in the package. You see, I have an ecommerce store which is created on Magento framework. I am using Cloudways powered managed Magento hosting server for the website. Although, it is considered as the economical option but still I am paying for it and in this covid pandemic the only thing that one need is how to cut the business expense. 
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Valerio De Angelis -

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this message. I spent some time searching and also posted a message on the MAA WebWork site yesterday. My university (Xavier University of Louisiana in New Orleans) was damaged by Hurricane Ida and the WebWork system on our local server is out of commission. We need to continue the course online beginning next week, and we have 7 sections of Pre-Calculus (about 200 students) who can no longer do the homework. I was wondering if and how we could be hosted on an emergency basis for the next few weeks, possibly till the end of the fall semester. Thank you for your consideration or any suggestion you can give. 

Valerio De Angelis

In reply to Valerio De Angelis

by Alex Jordan -

Hi Valerio,

Runestone can host you at no cost. I'll write you from my Runestone email about details.

Alex

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Valerio De Angelis -

Thank you, we have now resolved the problem. John Travis at Mississippi College is hosting the Xavier Pre-Calculus course. I appreciate your offer of help.