WeBWorK Main Forum

PG file location issue just for one account

PG file location issue just for one account

by Balagopal Pillai -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

One of our instructors edited a problem and it turned out that the path of the problem is pointing

to a .tmp file and not the real pg file. I checked the homework set on webwork and it is showing up

as the right pg file for the problem. None of the students see an error other than from the instructor account

which was used for editing the problem.

Today I checked the db backups and found the following entries for that particular account -

'username_masked',_binary 'Assignment_1',5,'tmpEdit/local/Math2600/Assignment1/p5b.pg.username_masked.tmp'

(353,'Math2600-Fall-2020','username_masked','Assignment_1',5,'tmpEdit/local/Math2600/Assignment1/p5b.pg.username_masked.tmp',

Is there anything that could be done through webwork to fix this issue (short of editing the mysql db directly)? Thanks.   

In reply to Balagopal Pillai

Re: PG file location issue just for one account

by Michael Gage -

The individualized .tmp file is set for the instructor when the "view" button is pressed from the PGproblemEditor page.  This allows the instructor to get a preview of what their changes will look like. Students will not see the changes that are in a .tmp file only the instructor who made the edit will see the change in the .tmp file and I believe that other instructors cannot see the change either.

If the "update" button is pressed the contents of the .tmp file replaces the contents of the corresponding pg file.  If the "revert" button is pressed the .tmp file is removed. I believe that only the instructor who originated the edit will be able to remove the .tmp file since only they can see it.

In reply to Michael Gage

by Balagopal Pillai -
I checked for that .tmp file and it doesn't exist anymore in the tmpEdit directory. If the instructor tries to edit the problem, it gives the error that the .tmp file cannot be read. So the reference to that tmp file only exists on the db it seems. Thanks.
In reply to Balagopal Pillai

by Michael Gage -
It seems that webwork has gotten stuck. A few more thing to try before manhandling the db -- on the homeworkeditor page there is a link the upper right for editing the assignment for a single user. Try editing it for the instructor Gabor Lukacs -- I think you might find the path to this problem for that user contains the lukacs.tmp extension. remove that extension from the path and save and see if that works. If not you can also unassign the homework set from the instructor (don't do this for a student because all of their work will be lost) and then reassign the homework set. This last is slightly drastic but I think less risky than working directly with the db. On the other hand you know what you are doing and have tools for accessing the db so you can probably fix things that way as well.
In reply to Michael Gage

by Gabor Lukacs -
Thank you, Michael, that was exactly the problem and the solution. Thank you so much for your help.
In reply to Michael Gage

by Gabor Lukacs -

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am the instructor involved. I am including below a screenshot of what I am seeing -- this was after an attempt at "Revert."

I hope it helps to better understand the issue.

Thank you,
Gabor

Screenshot of bug