WeBWorK Main Forum

Gateway Quiz, recording and grading ??

Gateway Quiz, recording and grading ??

by david Carothers -
Number of replies: 4

I have previously used WEBWORK only for homework, but now need testing.

I have set up several short/experimental gateway quizzes @ 3-4 problems, all of those being problems that previously worked fine in homework assignments.

It seems that:

a)       for some problems, webwork will neither preview nor store an answer. When hitting “preview” the answer disappears and a new version of the problem comes up

b)      for some problems, webwork will preview and record an answer AND then show that answer as CORRECT when the student hits “grade” but the point(s) for that problem are not included in the test total score

c)       for some problem, the preview and scoring work correctly

Nothing obvious jumps out for me when looking at the documentation
Tags:
In reply to david Carothers

Re: Gateway Quiz, recording and grading ??

by Danny Glin -

What version of WeBWorK are you running?

For a), this is a known issue relating to certain types of problems, particularly some cases where multiple answer blanks are graded together (i.e. the answer is only marked correct if the values of more than one answer blank match simultaneously).

The only time I've seen b) is if the weight for the problem is set to 0.

In reply to Danny Glin

by david Carothers -
Thanks!  Will check on the version. Difficulty a) - hmm, I had that several times with different "compute the derivative" problems with only one answer blank. b) - for the experiment I was using the library browser and pulling problems from the existing problem sets for the course, most of which had originally come from the national library (this is a business calculus class, and we wanted to avoid any possibility of the "we never saw a problem like that before" complaint). I did do another multi-question experimental version pulling problems directly from the national library instead of "from this course" - whether by accident or not, all of those worked correctly.

In reply to Danny Glin

by david Carothers -
Looks like it is version 2.12

That new experiment going back to the national library was today, by the way - I suppose that is a solution, although not a terribly satisfying solution, since in the library browser "from this course" does not look much different from "national problem library"
In reply to david Carothers

by Andrew Dabrowski -
Re b: Did any of your problems include popups? I've encountered the same problem, popups seemed to be the root of it. See the thread
https://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=4913