WeBWorK Problems

Scaffolded problem and number of attempts.

Scaffolded problem and number of attempts.

by Sergio Chaves -
Number of replies: 2

I am trying to set up a problem that consists of three parts, and I am using scaffold.pl to achieve this.

I want that students work in a section at a time, and they are unable to access any other section (I want this since subsequent sections contain answers or hints to the question on previous sections). I also want to give students a unique attempt for the whole problem.

I tried by setting up the options

Scaffold::Begin(
      can_open => "first_incorrect",
      is_open  => "first_incorrect"
    );

This option only allows to move to the next section as long as the previous is correct. Is there a configuration where students see the "first unanswered" instead?

I also noticed that when an answer for the current section is submitted, it counts as the whole attempt of the problem.  If I set the number of attempts = 1, students are only able to submit answers for the first section.

Is it possible to deal with this issue somehow? either with the Scaffold configuration or  by using other problem techniques?

Thanks!

In reply to Sergio Chaves

Re: Scaffolded problem and number of attempts.

by Davide Cervone -
> Is there a configuration where students see the "first unanswered" instead?

I'm not sure I understand the request. Opening the "first unanswered" would mean that as soon as a student submits answers to one section, that one will close and the next will open. Is that what you are asking for? Only one chance to answer each section, and then move on to the next, with no going back?
In reply to Davide Cervone

Re: Scaffolded problem and number of attempts.

by Sergio Chaves -
Thanks for your reply Davide, maybe I was not clear enough.
Yes, that is exactly what I would like to set up.