Installation

Installing Statistics::R::IO after upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04

Installing Statistics::R::IO after upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Number of replies: 8

I recently upgraded my development server to Ubuntu 20.04, and am running WeBWorK 2.16.

Almost everything went smoothly, except that I am unable to install the Statistics::R::IO Perl module. All other modules installed without issue.

Has anyone else run into this? It's not a big issue on this server, because I don't need to run problems with R there.

But my production server will need it to work, so I am sticking to Ubuntu 16.04 until I figure out a solution.

In reply to Sean Fitzpatrick

Re: Installing Statistics::R::IO after upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04

by Danny Glin -

What happens when you try to install the module?  Do you get a specific error message?

In reply to Danny Glin

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Some details:
- I've done all the steps in the links provided by Arnold, both now, and prior to upgrading. Seems R was uninstalled during upgrade
- Previously I used cpan rather than cpanm but this change doesn't seem to effect anything
- I get the following:
$ sudo cpanm Statistics::R::IO
--> Working on Statistics::R::IO
Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/D/DA/DAVOR/Statistics-R-IO-1.0002.tar.gz ... OK
Configuring Statistics-R-IO-1.0002 ... OK
Building and testing Statistics-R-IO-1.0002 ... FAIL
! Installing Statistics::R::IO failed. See /root/.cpanm/work/1628131894.31630/build.log for details. Retry with --force to force install it.

I can't figure out where cpanm puts that log file.
Using cpan gives much more verbose output: see attached file.

by Danny Glin -

Did you have rserve running when you tried the installation?  The error messages aren't particularly descriptive as to what went wrong, but it looks like some of the tests are trying to run various commands, which I assume need an active rserve instance to connect to.

You can always try a force install.  That has worked for me in the past for other perl packages.  The problem is that you won't know if some aspect of the package is broken until an error appears.

In reply to Danny Glin

by Sean Fitzpatrick -

Yes, I had Rserve running, and listening on port 6311.

The install tries to run a bunch of tests, all of which fail. Could give the force install a try.

by Ama Chefe -

I has this issue exactly, and has to installed the module manually.

The instruction and download link from here https://metacpan.org/release/DAVOR/Statistics-R-IO-1.0002/source/INSTALL