WeBWorK Problems

Allow only one submission per question

Allow only one submission per question

by John Perry -
Number of replies: 7

Hello

I'd like to allow only one submission per question. That is, once a student submits an answer, s/he can't go back and change it if it's marked wrong.

I was sure there was a way to do this, and I thought I'd done it in the past. But, I don't see it now, and searching for "allow only one submission" doesn't turn anything up.

Can anyone tell me what to do for this?

john perry

In reply to John Perry

Re: Allow only one submission per question

by Alex Jordan -

Visit the problem set's Set Details page, and you can set the number of attempts for each exercise. One way to get to the Set Details page is to click Instructor Tools, then select the problem set in question, then click Edit set.

If these problem sets were imported form set definition files, they probably have an attempts number written into the set definition files. It may be more convenient to edit that number in the set definition files, delete the live problem sets, and then re-import the problem sets.

In reply to Alex Jordan

by John Perry -
Visit the problem set's Set Details page, and you can set the number of attempts for each exercise.

I vaguely remember something like this, but I don't see any way to set the number of attempts.

If these problem sets were imported form set definition files, they probably have an attempts number written into the set definition files.

I copied the homework set from a pre-existing homework set, itself copied from one that existed before. The original no longer exists. How should I edit the set definition file to fix this?

In reply to John Perry

by John Perry -

I found the problem: the assignment had "gateway / quiz" type. Changing it to "homework" type allows me to limit the number of submissions.

However, "homework" type doesn't allow me to limit the amount of time, which is something I want to do with this assignment.

Basically, I'd like to limit both the number of submissions (to 1 per question) and the amount of time. Does someone know how this can be done?

In reply to John Perry

by Glenn Rice -

With gateway quizzes you can limit the number of submissions to the entire quiz, but not per problem.  Set the option "Number of Graded Submissions per Test (0=infty)" to 1.  Then the student gets one submission for the entire quiz.

In reply to Glenn Rice

by John Perry -

I saw that, but the problem is related to anti-cheating JavaScript I wrote. If someone can navigate away from a quiz problem, then navigate back to it & get another shot at it, it defeats the mechanism.

In reply to John Perry

by Alex Jordan -

If you use quiz mode, then the questions are not submitted one at a time. A student will click "Grade quiz" (or something like that) and all of their answers for the quiz are assessed at the same time.

You can configure the quiz so that they only have one chance to click "Grade quiz". In the set details page where you set the problem set to be a quiz, you can set the number of graded submissions per version to just be 1. I suspect you would also want to set Number of Tests per Time Interval to 1, and Time Interval for New Test Versions to 0 (a stand-in for infinite).

Another angle for this is to use a homework set instead of a quiz, and set each problem to only have 1 attempt. And then define the set's open and close dates to be a narrow time interval. But then of course you are asking students to do the assignment in that particular time window.

In reply to Alex Jordan

by John Perry -
Your suggestion is good, but I'm pretty sure it poses the same problem for my JavaScript. Thank you though.