Installation

Database missing tables after upgrade to 2.4.7

Database missing tables after upgrade to 2.4.7

by Doug Yencho -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,
I recently upgraded our WeBWorK install from v2.3 to v2.4.7 using the rel-2-4-patches branch. Originally, I ran into the problem of the error message "Database tables need updating." displayed after each of the courses listed in the Course Administration page. I followed the postings from the Main forum (http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/search.php?search=Database+tables+need+updating.&id=2) and tried to archive some of the courses. The archive failed with the error "There are tables or fields missing from the database. The database must be upgraded before archiving this course." I ran wwdb_upgrade and it returns the following: "Database is up-to-date at version 23."

Not sure where to proceed from here, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
In reply to Doug Yencho

Re: Database missing tables after upgrade to 2.4.7

by Michael Gage -
The archive failed with the error "There are tables or fields missing from the database. The database must be upgraded before archiving this course."
At this point you'll notice that the "submit" button reads "upgrade course tables". Press that button.

If the problem can be fixed automatically then you will get the archive page again with everything green and buttons reading "archive" and "don't archive". At this point you can press the "don't archive" button and return to the main page. One course fixed.

There may be cases where you will need to manually create a directory on the webwork site or manually delete some extra tables created in the mysql database. I didn't trust the automatic mechanisms to work safely for these operations.

This is of course a workaround until we get a smoother interface to the upgrade process. We developed it first in archive and unarchive because the most problem was that people would upgrade the system and then try to unarchive a course from a previous semester.

Hope this helps.

-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Database missing tables after upgrade to 2.4.7

by Doug Yencho -
Mike,
That worked, I was able to update all of the tables without an issue.

Thanks for your help.