WeBWorK Main Forum

WeBWorK v. 2.16 Ubuntu New release '22.04.1 LTS'

WeBWorK v. 2.16 Ubuntu New release '22.04.1 LTS'

by Andras Balogh -
Number of replies: 4

I keep getting notifications that Ubuntu has a new release '22.04.1 LTS' available.

Has anybody sone an Ubuntu release update to 22.04.1 with WeBWorK 2.16?

Is there anything special about it or is it similar to regular updates? 

In reply to Andras Balogh

Re: WeBWorK v. 2.16 Ubuntu New release '22.04.1 LTS'

by Glenn Rice -

I have updated my development machine to Ubuntu 22.04, but have not done so on my production servers.  I plan to to that during the winter break though.

It is mostly straight forward to upgrade and use with WeBWorK.

However, there is an issue with the Ubuntu libdbd-mariadb-perl package.  The Ubuntu package is failing to build, and so it is not available in the Ubuntu repositories.  So you will need to install DBD::MariaDB directly from cpan if you use that database driver.  To do this, first install the Ubuntu package libmariadb-dev with "sudo apt install libmariadb-dev", and then run "sudo cpanm DBD::MariaDB".  It is possible I am missing a dependency here.

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Andras Balogh -
Thanks. I use mysql instead of MariaDB.
In reply to Andras Balogh

by Danny Glin -
It looks like DBD::mysql is not being actively maintained (the last release to CPAN was 2019), and according to the internet there are issues with utf8 support using that driver, so even if your database is mysql it might be better to use the DBD:MariaDB perl package. They claim to support both mysql and MariaDB databases.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Andras Balogh -

Thanks for pointing this out. The last time I upgraded the server it had an older version with mysql and I was afraid to change to MariaDB. I will definitely try to change to MariaDB (first on a test machine).