Installation

novice trying installation of WebWork on AWS

novice trying installation of WebWork on AWS

by Ken Luther -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All - Pardon the lengthy post here.  I'm sure my situation will make many of you facepalm yourselves, but here it is: with good intentions, I'm flailing about at giving a try to installing WebWork on my own.  Imagine the main characters from Dumb & Dumber trying this, and you'll have a good sense of how I feel right now.  

I spent several years at my institution really enjoying using WebWork in my classes and doing problem development.  The institution offered early retirement after this past year, and I took it!  But I wanted to continue working with WebWork: for continued problem development to go along with some writing projects, and also hoping to use it with students I might be tutoring, to give them practice sets on whatever topic is at hand.  And so, since I could no longer use the institution servers, I decided to try to install my own version on Amazon Web Services so I could continue to tinker.  This in itself is quite a learning experience, because other than some vague recollections of using unix from like 30 years ago, I'm totally ignorant of the back-end server side of things (our CS faculty got WW up and running for us).     

So: with the help of a just-graduated senior CS student who had used AWS before, we got WebWork 2.16 up and running on AWS at the end of the Spring semester.  Sort of.  (He has full time employment now, so I'm on my own!)  The current issue I'm facing is somewhat similar to newer posts right here the last few days.  At first, I could not get math to render at all.  When I dove back into the installation instructions, I realized the site.conf and localOverrides.conf files had not been updated as specified.  So I updated them by replacing the template 'aws.apizer.org' address in a few locations with the public URL for my instance on AWS. (I understand this isn't ideal, but I don't have a domain I can redirect yet.)  And, that fixed the problem!  ... I thought.  What's happening now is that math is rendering when I view problems within the library browser page, but not then when I click the "view" eyeball icon to open the problem fully in a new window (or when I edit and resave the problem file in the editor).  I have two images overlaid in the attachment showing this.  Does anyone have an idea why math would render in the library browser window, but not when a problem is then displayed in a new window?  

(I also understand that I should upgrade to 2.17, but figured I should complete this "practice run" with 2.16 before hitting the reset button.) 

Thanks for reading, not laughing too hard, and for any advice you might have.  -- Ken L. 

Attachment with-and-wo-math.jpg
In reply to Ken Luther

Re: novice trying installation of WebWork on AWS

by Arnold Pizer -

Hi,

Double check that you have edited localOverrides.conf correctly.  You can do a diff between your current version and a backup copy. Especially look at lines containing 8080 and even more specifically the line concerning MathJax.  Equations are displayed differently in the library browser then in regular problem (the "eye" view).  Note that setting up the new WeBWorK 2.17 AMI image is quite a bit simpler than the 2.16 image since Lighttpd is not used for the WeBWorK 2.17 AMI image. See 

https://webwork.maa.org/wiki/WeBWorK_2.17_Ubuntu_Server_22.04_LTS_Amazon_Machine_Image

In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Ken Luther -

Thanks!  Now I know where the "apizer" in the default URL comes from :)  I changed two locations in localOverrides.conf where I found the "apizer" address, I'll also scan for the 8080 port.  Or, maybe I will just go ahead and try my hand at upgrading to 2.17.   

In reply to Ken Luther

by Ken Luther -
So I got brave and attempted an installation of 2.17 from scratch on AWS with no one else looking over my shoulder, and so far, so good! I have not done any significant testing, but superficial poking around shows that my original problem of math not rendering in new windows is no longer an issue.