Miscellaneous

Data Privacy Agreement

Data Privacy Agreement

by Mark Groves -
Number of replies: 1

I am looking for more information about setting up WeBWork at my school in a large district. I am discussing this with our tech people, and they brought up a concern about a Data Privacy Agreement? 

Since this is open source software is there such a thing? WeBWork is not a separate entity that oversees the software? I think they are thinking about this from the legal side and accessibility issues for students. Information or advice on how to reply to them would be appreciated 

Thanks 

In reply to Mark Groves

Re: Data Privacy Agreement

by Danny Glin -

Your assessment is pretty much correct.  Since WeBWorK is open source, community supported software there is no warranty given with the software.

Because the software is designed to be self-hosted, each institution can control how their data is managed.  With the code being open source you have the ability to audit the code to verify that no private information is automatically shared outside of your installation.  You are given the option to share aggregated, anonymized data about problem usage with the community, but this is not done unless you explicitly agree (while running the OPL-update script).

If you or your school district have specific questions about how data is handled in the software you can post them here and likely someone will be able to tell you how things work.