WeBWorK Main Forum

Grade passback from WeBWorK 2.18 to Moodle 4.1 via LTI 1.3 Advantage

Grade passback from WeBWorK 2.18 to Moodle 4.1 via LTI 1.3 Advantage

by Yohai Maayan -
Number of replies: 2

Long story short, LTI 1.3 seems to be working fine, WeBWorK claims that is has updated the LMS, but the grades are not updating on Moodle.

A few more details:

• The WeBWorK log has "Successfully updated LMS grade." for the user and grade in question.
  • The job queue is enabled, recently restarted for good measure.
  • In the external tool settings in Moodle, accept grades from the tool is on "always".
  • There is a column for the WeBWorK activity in question in the Moodle gradebook.
  • There is no Grade section in the activity settings in Moodle, and upon inspecting the grade setting from the Moodle gradebook, the type is set to text without the ability to change it.

Any idea what it could be? Does anybody have it working in this manner with Moodle and LTI 1.3?

I'd be happy to provide any additional information.

In reply to Yohai Maayan

Re: Grade passback from WeBWorK 2.18 to Moodle 4.1 via LTI 1.3 Advantage

by Danny Glin -

I don't have a lot of experience with LTI 1.3 or Moodle grades, so some of these questions may be naive.

• Did you create the grade item in the Moodle gradebook, or was it created automatically via the LTI integration?
  • You say that the type is set to text.  Is this different from other grade items?
  • Do you have access to Moodle logs?  Are you able to see anything that indicates that Moodle isn't handling the grades?
In reply to Danny Glin

Re: Grade passback from WeBWorK 2.18 to Moodle 4.1 via LTI 1.3 Advantage

by Yohai Maayan -
Very reasonable questions.

• The grade item was automatically created via the LTI integration.
  • I suspect that the grade type should be set to Point. If I understand correctly, WeBWorK reports a ratio of the maximal grade for the activity to Moodle, which translates this into a grade. So if WW reports 0.5 and the maximal grade is 100, Moodle will show a grade of 50. The maximal grade is not defined for Text type grades (which I think really means no grade).
  • I don't have direct access to Moodle logs but I will ask for them.