WeBWorK Main Forum

Essay question grading page, width of scoring drop-down

Essay question grading page, width of scoring drop-down

by Tim Flowers -
Number of replies: 2
We have a course where each week students complete a couple of questions made up entirely of essay answer blocks. So, imagine a question with 4 answer blocks, where each is an essay answer blank.

When it is time to grade the student's answers, we use the "Manual Grader" page for essay questions. So, this lists every student in order by section number and student name. For each student, it displays their four answers for the four blanks. To the right, there is a drop-down to assign a score.  (I'm sorry if this is over-explaining the setup).

The width of the drop down box is not always the same. For some problems, it is so skinny that once a score is selected from the drop-down, you cannot see that number (only the "vee" arrow shape is still visible). On other problems, the drop-down is wider and the full score can be seen after selected (60, 70, 100, etc.).  I will try to post an image below. 

We are running 2.17.

I have not been able to piece together which factor or factors determines the width of the drop down. The length of the name of the homework set? Something to do with the length of the first and/or longest student answer? Other things? 

Skinny dropdown with score not visible

In reply to Tim Flowers

Re: Essay question grading page, width of scoring drop-down

by Danny Glin -

In WW 2.17 there is nothing explicitly set for the dimensions of the columns of that table.  Based on this my understanding is that the browser determines how wide to make each of the columns based on the data in the columns, so it's related to the longest answer, but also the longest student name and section number.

In WW 2.18 the table has been reworked to set some guidelines on the relative widths of the columns so that it displays reasonably well on screens of different widths.

In reply to Danny Glin

Re: Essay question grading page, width of scoring drop-down

by Tim Flowers -
Thanks, Danny. Is there a straightforward way in 2.17 we could go in and set a minimum width for the "Score" column? Is it a setting to adjust in one place or is it more involved than that? (I am assuming the latter, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask)