Forum archive 2000-2006

Arnold K. Pizer - WW setup problem

Arnold K. Pizer - WW setup problem

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWW setup problem topic started 9/8/2001; 7:43:17 AM
last post 9/8/2001; 7:53:33 AM
userArnold K. Pizer - WW setup problem  blueArrow
9/8/2001; 7:43:17 AM (reads: 1280, responses: 2)
Arnie,

This is Andy Wildenberg making his semesterly report of difficulty :

I've set up my cse113 course again from scratch (since I didn't realize I could just erase the databases) and I've been trying to get it working. I created the student accounts and now I created set0. I can do set0 one problem at a time, but if I try to get a hard copy, it crashes. When you scroll through the message you can see it's inserted the following into the text:

250 Problem6 251 ERROR caught by PGtranslator while processing problem file:set0/prob4/prob4.pg 252 * 253 Unable to create eps file: [,,,]

Unfortunately, if I run gif2eps by myself on those files it works fine. My httpd is running as root (though I thought it was running as apache). The permissions on the relevant files are

[...]

and the membership of CSE113 is

CSE113:*:1007:apache,awilden,scharff wwadmin:*:1006:apache,awilden,scharff

Any idea what's going on?

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: WW setup problem  blueArrow
9/8/2001; 7:52:24 AM (reads: 1526, responses: 0)
Hi Andy,

The first place to look is to make sure the PATH in webwork/scripts/makePDF and in gif2eps PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin (or whatever) is correct (although I can't imagine what may have changed on your system --- maybe someone upgraded your system over the summer). This has to contain the path to the various graphics routines. Usually this is /usr/bin and/or /usr/local/bin

Can your view prob 6 in typeset mode?

I can not imagine what would effect this in setting up a course (assuming you are able to view all problems in set 0 one at a time). Sometimes some of the settings in webworkCourse.ph (e.g. $courseTempURL) are wrong, but this should effect all output (html, pdf, etc).

Arnie

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: WW setup problem  blueArrow
9/8/2001; 7:53:33 AM (reads: 1588, responses: 0)
Interestingly enough, your first idea bore fruit and resolved a separate problem. FreeBSD keeps NetPBM in /usr/local/bin. I can now make PDF files for my problems that don't involve graphics (i.e. all of them), so I'm much happier.

I can see problem 6 in typeset mode just fine. The courseTempURL looks good too. But you've still helped a lot.

Andy