Forum archive 2000-2006

ymarkov - WW import classlist problem

ymarkov - WW import classlist problem

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWW import classlist problem topic started 9/11/2001; 2:19:45 PM
last post 9/11/2001; 2:43:17 PM
userymarkov - WW import classlist problem  blueArrow
9/11/2001; 2:19:45 PM (reads: 795, responses: 1)
We are setting up our Calc I classes. We executed the following procedure and encauntered a problem with the Web based import classlist option from the Prof.'s page.

1. We created a small list of The Prof. the TA's and the practice users. We initiated the database using that list and the line perl script import_classlist-database.pl. 2. We got the student list from the registars, converted it to the .lst format and run the Web Upload of import classlist option from the Prof.'s page, under locked DB. 3. The computer staled before it can finish the job and told us that connection was lost with the webwork server. 4. We run the Web export option and discovered that the whole correct list is in the database. The old (maintanance) users had their accounts fine (username/passwd working). Some of the new students had working accounts, but others' passwords were not recognized by the system. I tried removing couple of those from the database using the Web interface. Then I have tried to add them again. The computer staled again before it can finish the job.

There appears to be a lock on part of the Password file/key?

Do you have any idea what might have caused those problems? The number of uploaded students was around 300. Since this was set-up work I redid everything from scratch, and it was OK the second time arrond. However I imported the whole DB with the line script that time. I still keep back ups of the problematic webwork_classlist_DB file and the respective password file. I would like to try a suggestion you may have in my test site. Thanks a lot, Yavor Markov

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: WW import classlist problem  blueArrow
9/11/2001; 2:43:17 PM (reads: 956, responses: 0)
This is not a problem that I have heard of before. Is is possible that your web browser is timing out? I would think this is very unlikely with a class of only 300 but it may be a possibility. Does the process seem like it is taking a long time?

<| Post or View Comments |>