Forum archive 2000-2006

Sam Hathaway - WeBWorK 2.0 Preview Release 2 Available

Sam Hathaway - WeBWorK 2.0 Preview Release 2 Available

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWeBWorK 2.0 Preview Release 2 Available topic started 1/7/2004; 12:08:57 AM
last post 1/12/2004; 11:48:09 AM
userSam Hathaway - WeBWorK 2.0 Preview Release 2 Available  blueArrow
1/7/2004; 12:08:57 AM (reads: 3587, responses: 2)
WeBWorK 2.0 Preview Release 2 Available

The WeBWorK Team is pleased to announce the release of WeBWorK 2.0 Preview Release 2. While it is intended primarily for testing, development, and evaluation of the new system, it is also suitable for use in live courses.

This release includes almost all of the functionality of WeBWorK 1.9, and contains new functionality beyond what it possible with 1.9. New features since Preview Release 1 include:

• implementation of a complete set of instructor tools
    • user, set, and problem editing
    • mail merge
    • scoring
    • statistics
    • "act as student" feature
  • hundreds of bug fixes
  • many optimizations (esp. in database code)
  • fast image generation (using dvipng)
  • attempt logging and viewing
  • SQL database support
  • support for optional cookie-based authentication
  • automatic guest login
  • preliminary support for remote PG rendering
This is by no means a complete list. The long stretch of time between Preview Release 1 and this release has made compiling a changelog difficult.

Files are available on our SourceForge project page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=93112

Full release notes are available at:
http://devel.webwork.rochester.edu/twiki/bin/view/Webwork/PreviewRelease2

Posted by Sam Hathaway on 1/7/04; 12:47:14 AM
from the dept.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: WeBWorK 2.0 Preview Release 2 Available  blueArrow
1/7/2004; 11:52:45 AM (reads: 1594, responses: 0)

The instructions for WW2 say you need version 1 of apache/mod_perl.  Our main server uses apache 2.  Has anyone tried running ww2 on a apache 2 server?

John

userJohn Jones - Re: WeBWorK 2.0 Preview Release 2 Available  blueArrow
1/12/2004; 11:48:09 AM (reads: 1558, responses: 0)
I have not been successful (yet), but I thought I would update the list on my efforts to install ww2 under apache 2.
  • Apache 2 uses mod_perl 2 rather than mod_perl 1.
  • For a while I thought there would be a conflict between Apache/mod_perl 2 and Safe (the sorting bug). I thought the documentation for mod_perl 2 said to have perl compiled with ithreads. After reading it more carefully, it says if you need threads, then use ithreads. As far as I can see, not using threads should make all of the software happy.
  • mod_perl 2 has a modulo for compatibility with mod_perl 1, so that is promising
  • the configuration of mod_perl 2 seems to be a little different from that of mod_perl 1.
I am still adapting the WW specific apache configuration directives for mod_perl to get them to work with mod_perl 2. I will post here again when I have some news on that front.

John