WeBWorK Main Forum

Logistics of Getting School Affiliation

Logistics of Getting School Affiliation

by Randal South -
Number of replies: 3
I am new to Webworks and would like to see my school establish an account. What is the first step in doing this? I recall receiving an email from someone that suggested that I obtain an email address with the school's domain. I am just a student, so my ability to get this accomplished may be limited.

Is it possible for me to access online Trigonmetry test sets without official school affiliation? Also, is there someone at Webworks who is doing institutional outreach to other potential affiliated institutions?

Randal
In reply to Randal South

Re: Logistics of Getting School Affiliation

by Darwyn Cook -
Randall,
If you cannot get school support you could make your own webwork server by burning a copy onto DVD, follow the directions here. When you boot from the DVD you will have a copy of webwork running.
In reply to Darwyn Cook

by Randal South -
Thanks for the extra info. It is much appreciated. I believe our school will support Webworks. However, my school is completely broke and I don't anticipate the financial situation to change anytime soon.
In reply to Randal South

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Randal,

At Rochester we can host a course for your school. We do this gratis for small courses (say 50-100 or fewer students). At some point in the near future the Mathematics Association of America (MAA) will take over this service maybe charging a small fee.

Have someone at your school send an email to Mike Gage and/or Arnie Pizer:
Arnold Pizer apizer@math.rochester.edu
Mike Gage gage@math.rochester.edu
with the following information:

courseID (e.g. mth101)
courseName (e.g. Calculus 1)
institution (e.g. University of Rochester)
instructor_email (e.g. apizer@math.rochester.edu)
instructor name (e.g. Arnold Pizer)

Your course name will include your school's domain name with courseID, e.g.
rochester_mth101.

The instructor's login will be derived from the email (e.g. apizer in
the example above), unless you request a different login to use instead.