WeBWorK Main Forum

Unable to generate hardcopy

Unable to generate hardcopy

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Number of replies: 4

When attempting to generate hardcopy of a problem set, I get the following error:

Activity 'download_hardcopy_view_errors' not found in %permissionLevels -- assuming no permission. at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authz.pm line 219.

Seems that something got out of sync somewhere, but I'm not quite sure where to start looking.

Running on rel-2-4-patches.

In reply to Xiong Chiamiov

Re: Unable to generate hardcopy

by Michael Gage -
Looks like the global.conf may not be up-to-date. After a cvs update see if global.conf.dist has changed and transfer the appropriate changes to global.conf.

(My procedure is a bit less efficient but also works.

I do a diff between global.conf.dist and global.conf and leave unchanged those things that are clearly local configurations such as directory paths while changing other differences to conform to global.conf.dist.)

In this case some additional permission levels were added for functions associated with the hardcopy downloads. They will be found in the latest global.conf.dist but are probably missing from your global.conf

--- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Xiong Chiamiov -
In this case some additional permission levels were added for functions associated with the hardcopy downloads. They will be found in the latest global.conf.dist but are probably missing from your global.conf

Ah yep, this was the case. I went through global.conf and global.conf.dist side-by-side in vim and adjusted a few things, so now I don't get that a permission denied error any more.

I do, however, get this one:

Failed to convert TeX to PDF with command 'cd /opt/webwork/courses/pierce_math125/html/tmp/hardcopy/work.Z40SAvbL && /usr/bin/pdflatex --shell-escape >pdflatex.stdout 2>pdflatex.stderr hardcopy' (exit=1 signal=0 core=0).

pdflatex.stdout:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4) \write18 enabled. I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

pdflatex.stderr:

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt fmtutil: format directory `/home/pearson/.texmf-var/web2c' does not exist.

When I ran said command as root, it was successful, and created /home/pearson/.texmf-var/web2c. The web server is running under the user 'apache', so it naturally doesn't have permissions to create directories in my home directory ;).

The thing that puzzles me is that I have no idea where it is getting my username from; the only thing I can gather from pdflatex's man page is that one of their special environment variables might be set to output files to my home directory, but if that's set by webwork, I have no idea where. :/

In reply to Xiong Chiamiov

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
This looks like the following bug mentioned in the Fedora installation manual:

Unfortunately there seems to be a bug in the Fedora 9 installation whereby necessaraay TeX formatting files are not installed. To correct this do the following

$ su
Password: <root password>
# fmtutil-sys --all
# exit
$

When I did this there were three errors that you can ignore.

That completes the set up of your base Fedora system.

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Unfortunately there seems to be a bug in the Fedora 9 installation whereby necessaraay TeX formatting files are not installed. To correct this do the following
$ su
Password: <root password>
# fmtutil-sys --all
# exit
$

That did the trick, thanks.