WeBWorK Main Forum

answers in problem set with extended deadline not recorded

answers in problem set with extended deadline not recorded

by Leo Butler -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

I have a problem set that originally had a deadline of 11:59pm on Friday. I extended the deadline on Friday afternoon to today (Monday) at 11:59pm.

The homework sets page is showing the homework set is open, but when a student attempts to answer a question, there is no option to submit answers. Any ideas on what is happening here?

Leo
In reply to Leo Butler

Re: answers in problem set with extended deadline not recorded

by Leo Butler -
I am answering myself, in some fashion.

WW is being run inside Moodle. When I use the 'login as' facility in Moodle to login in as the affected student, the student's questions now present me with a submit button.

Why would this happen? Is there some persistent state that is being (incorrectly) maintained by a cookie?

Leo
In reply to Leo Butler

by Michael Gage -
the first thing I'd check is that the extended deadline was effected on both moodle and webwork.  They should talk to each other, and to a limited extent they do, but I don't expect the intercommunication on due dates to be completely seamless.  
In reply to Michael Gage

by Leo Butler -
Yes, the change in deadline was propagated back to moodle from webwork, or at least the new deadline was visible from moodle. That is what makes the problem mysterious: the changed deadline was visible everywhere except the individual problems lacked a 'submit' button.

Anyhow, I have advised the affected students to logout completely, close the tab/browser, then login again. This seems to work.
In reply to Leo Butler

by Michael Gage -
Glad there is a work around.  If it can be fixed with logging out and logging back in it likely is something cached by the browser.  WeBWorK only uses a cookie to facilitate repeat logins (within a limited period) so I don't think it's a WW cookie that is causing this behavior.

In reply to Leo Butler

by Davide Cervone -
Could it be a caching issue with the student's browser (cached copy of the page before the extension)? Have you tried forcing a reload? Or clearing the browser cache?
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Leo Butler -
That was my first thought, but then I saw that other pages were being reloaded and on the question pages themselves the new, extended deadline was visible. So, my supposition was that the entire page was being reloaded.

I didn't bother to pursue the thought further, though, because I appeared to have found a solution by logging out of moodle+webwork, then back in.

Incidentally, how do I force a reload from within the problem's pg-file?