WeBWorK Main Forum

Unlimited attempts at a complete homework set?

Unlimited attempts at a complete homework set?

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Number of replies: 2
One of the (few) aspects I like about MyMathLab is that it allows students unlimited attempts at a complete set of questions: but every time they have to start again from scratch. This prevents a student from hammering away at a single question putting in values on a trial-and-error basis until they get something that works.

Does WeBWork provide similar functionality - a student can attempt a given set of questions unlimited times, but each time the entire question set is refreshed anew?

Thanks,
Alasdair
In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

Re: Unlimited attempts at a complete homework set?

by Nandor Sieben -
I can see that this may be useful for simple problems. On the other hand it would cause a lot of frustration for a complex problem. No student would want to restart a Gauss elimination process on a new matrix after a small mistake on a single entry of the matrix. 
In reply to Nandor Sieben

Re: Unlimited attempts at a complete homework set?

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Oh yes, you would only use this for a test with fairly simple problems. On the other hand, as I see it, it encourages the students to be more careful, and less likely to apply a slapdash "try it and see" approach.

And I've just received an email advising me that "Gateway Quizzes" allow precisely this sort of approach - as well as a host of other parameters.