WeBWorK Main Forum

Got seg fault and other issues trying to install 2.8 on Ubuntu 14.04 from scratch...

Got seg fault and other issues trying to install 2.8 on Ubuntu 14.04 from scratch...

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 7
I am trying to install Webwork 2.8 on Ubuntu 14.04.

When I check the installed modules, Mail::Sender gave the following messages...

defined(@array) is deprecated at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/Sender.pm line 318.
(Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
defined(@array) is deprecated at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/Sender.pm line 2693.

When I tried to restart Apache I saw similar messages and then a seg fault...

# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
 * Restarting web server apache2                                                                              webwork.apache2-config:  WeBWorK server is starting
webwork.apache2-config:  WeBWorK root directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 in webwork2/conf/webwork.apache2-config
webwork.apache2-config:  The following locations and urls are set in webwork2/conf/site.conf
webwork.apache2-config:  PG root directory set to /opt/webwork/pg
webwork.apache2-config:  WeBWorK server userID is www-data
webwork.apache2-config:  WeBWorK server groupID is wwdata
webwork.apache2-config:  The webwork url on this site is http://localhost/webwork2
Localize.pm: Full path for the localization directory set to |/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Localize|
defined(@array) is deprecated at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/Sender.pm line 318.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/Sender.pm line 2693.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/Index.pm line 318.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/Index.pm line 320.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/SendMail.pm line 115.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/SendMail.pm line 117.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/Assigner.pm line 109.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/Assigner.pm line 111.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/StudentProgress.pm line 197.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/StudentProgress.pm line 199.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/StudentProgress.pm line 371.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/StudentProgress.pm line 373.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Problem.pm line 727.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Problem.pm line 728.
defined(@array) is deprecated at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Problem.pm line 729.
Smartmatch is experimental at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Problem.pm line 1700.
Smartmatch is experimental at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/ShowAnswers.pm line 86.
WebworkSOAP::WSDL: webwork_directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 via $WeBWorK::Constants::WEBWORK_DIRECTORY set in webwork.apache2-config
WebworkSOAP::WSDL: rpc_url set to http://localhost/webwork2_rpc 
WebworkWebservice: webwork_directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 via $WeBWorK::Constants::WEBWORK_DIRECTORY set in webwork.apache2-config
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Action 'start' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
                                                                                                       [fail]
 * The apache2 instance did not start within 20 seconds. Please read the log files to discover problems

In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: Got seg fault and other issues trying to install 2.8 on Ubuntu 14.04 from scratch...

by Hedley Pinsent -
I possibly have a machine just like yours.
Ubuntu 14.04 runs apache2.4 as opposed to 2.2; there are issues here.
I got past the apache issue: sort of.
Much discussion on the forums here.
I then had all the library browser 2 issues that have also been discussed on the forum.
Currently the machine is literally "shelved"; every now and again I update the 2.9 branch and am sure that someday it will work again.
It seems that backward compatibility in the Linux world is not a priority.
sorry for not being more helpful
hp
In reply to Hedley Pinsent

Re: Got seg fault and other issues trying to install 2.8 on Ubuntu 14.04 from scratch...

by Christian Seberino -
I tried the apache2.4 conf file in the develop branch but still seg faults.
In reply to Christian Seberino

by Brett Hendricks -
I'm in the exact same boat: Ubuntu 14.04; WebWorK 2.8; using webwork-apache2.4-config to no avail.
In reply to Brett Hendricks

by Christian Seberino -
If Apache 2.4 is the problem what about compiling Apache 2.3 from source
on Ubuntu 14.04 and trying that?

cs

In reply to Brett Hendricks

by Michael Gage -
Do your segfaults only occur when you are viewing a problem with pictures?

Do you also have php compiled into apache?

If so you might have a conflict with libgd which is the package that draws the on the fly graphics.  It has to be installed carefully if you also install php.

type libgd into the forum search box and look at the comments to see if some of them might apply to your case. 

-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

by Christian Seberino -
Regarding pictures.....I was never able to start Apache 2.4+Webwork 
to able to able to do anything with pictures.

Regarding PHP, I'm just using the vanilla Ubuntu 14.04 that Amazon EC2 instances come with.  If the stock Apache2.4 has PHP conflicts should everyone remove the Apache package and compile from source without PHP turned on?

cs

In reply to Michael Gage

by Brett Hendricks -
I've commented the entire webwork-apache2.4-config file and am uncommenting line by line, running service apache2 reload after each uncomment. The crash first occurs when I uncomment line 38:

require Apache::WeBWorK; # force compilation of pretty much everything

If I comment out that line, I can uncomment the entirety of the <Perl>...</Perl> section.

When I then uncomment line 65:

PerlModule WebworkSOAP

I receive the following response:

*** Error in `/usr/sbin/apache2': free(): corrupted unsorted chunks: 0x00007f99573f6350 ***
Aborted (core dumped)
Action 'start' failed.

The segmentation fault and the list of suggested "Maybe you should just omit the defined" occurs when both line 38 (require Apache::WeBWorK;)  and line 65 (PerlModule WebworkSOAP) are uncommented.