WeBWorK Main Forum

Does WebWork keep a log of when students are active?

Does WebWork keep a log of when students are active?

by James Mc Laughlin -
Number of replies: 4
When I look at a roster for a class it shows which students are currently logged in.

I was wondering if WebWork keeps a log of when students were logged in, and if so, how to access it?

This would be very useful in dealing with students who claim the internet ate their homework, if the logged showed that they had not actually logged in for 6 weeks.

Thanks for any pointers/info.

Jimmy
In reply to James Mc Laughlin

Re: Does WebWork keep a log of when students are active?

by James Mc Laughlin -
A colleague answered this question for me, pointing me to this earlier message:
http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3661

by Nathan Wallach -
When looking into something else, I ran into something called "activity_log" which is usually disabled as it grows quite huge very quickly.

You will need to set (temporarily!) a value for the config variable $courseFiles{logs}{activity_log} in webwork2/conf/defaults.config so that the activity log file will be created/written. (See the warning about it getting huge in the config file - so don't leave it live all the time.)

It could be that log management tools could help manage the size of the file, if you find that it provides data you would want to have available for a certain duration.

Nathan

by Danny Glin -
The file you're looking for is login.log, which lives in the course logs directory. From the server this would generally be found at /opt/webwork/courses/[coursename]/logs/login.log. From the File Manager in WeBWorK, click on "^" to go up a level, then double-click on the logs directory and you will find it there.

The file logs any login attempts, but doesn't track how long they stayed logged in, and It can be a bit of a pain to search, but it should have the information you seek.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Alex Jordan -
You might also look in answers.log, in the same folder. You can get a sense of how active they were when they logged in. Each answer submission is logged.