WeBWorK Main Forum

Slowness after Migration to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS WebWorK Image

Slowness after Migration to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS WebWorK Image

by John Helman -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all and hope this finds you well.

We were running WeBWorK 2.15 on Ubuntu 14.04 and I've just finished the process of downloading/configuring the Virtual Machine image for WebWork 2.15 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.  I've migrated the data over using the Archive Course and Un-Archive Course method from the old server to the new server and things went fairly well and I didn't run into really any issues.

However, while testing things out myself and with some of the functional users, we have noticed that general browsing of the site is extremely slow and I'm not seeing anything that looks out of the ordinary in the Apache2 access or error logs.  I also followed the recommendations for the mpm_prefork implementation.  I'm just wondering if anybody has seen anything like this before after a migration or if maybe there is something that I'm missing or could look at to help further investigate the issue.

Odd thing is, when you go to the default Apache page without the /webwork2, it comes right up instantly, but any browsing within webwork2 is very slow.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John Helman

In reply to John Helman

Re: Slowness after Migration to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS WebWorK Image

by Arnold Pizer -
This sounds a lot like
It may be different but the suggestions there, e.g. looking at your browser console and doubling checking that you have read all the instructions and edited the config files correctly might solve the problem.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by John Helman -
Thanks Arnie for the reply.  This is hosted on our internal VM Hosts so we aren't using any AWS resources.

I've run through the Virtual Machine Ubuntu 20.04 Image installation guide a couple times already looking at the conf files and things look to be correct.  I'm going to run through them again this morning and see if I can see anything since I have fresh eyes.  May try to do a diff on the conf files and the dist conf files to see if there are any differences with spacing or missing a single quote or something like that.

In reply to John Helman

by Danny Glin -

Have you looked at your browser console when loading any of the WeBWorK pages (as Arnie suggested)?  This will tell you if your WeBWorK config has any misdirected URLs which time out when your browser tries to load them.

In reply to John Helman

by Andras Balogh -
May I ask why you are not installing the newest WeBWorK 2.16?
In reply to Andras Balogh

by John Helman -

Thanks for the help gentlemen.  I actually asked myself that question earlier today and am working on upgrading to 2.16 and that has seemed to fix my slowness issue.  Most likely something I was missing or had misconfigured in a conf file that was causing the slowness.

My only issue right now is I'm trying to upgrade pg to 2.16 from 2.15 and it's giving me this error when I try to do a git pull origin:

Updating 5083fea..ff6c945

error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:

macros/PGbasicmacros.pl

Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.

I'm not crazy familiar with the workings of GitHub, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

In reply to John Helman

by Danny Glin -
If you are okay with blowing away any local changes you made to PGbasicmacros.pl, then you can do

git checkout macros/PGbasicmacros.pl

Once you've done this you should be able to do a git pull.
In reply to Danny Glin

by John Helman -
Thanks Danny. If there has been any changes made to PGbasicmacros.pl it would have been made by me, but I don't think I've done anything with that so not sure how it got changed.
In reply to John Helman

by Alex Jordan -

If you would like to review the edits that you have for PGbasicmacros.pl, you can do:

cd /opt/webwork/pg
git diff macros/PGbasicmacros.pl

Just to look at what you might want to throw away, or try to preserve.