OPL Maintenance

Looking for a draft taxonomy for Physics

Looking for a draft taxonomy for Physics

by Boyd Duffee -
Number of replies: 2

I'd heard there was a long discussion at last summer's OPL Code Camp about a taxonomy for physics problems.  Do we have a draft copy or top level subjects yet?  I've got a pull request open for 5 chapters of OpenStax and the follow up work to that would be to get the metadata in shape to make them easier to find.

Who do I need to pester?

In reply to Boyd Duffee

Re: Looking for a draft taxonomy for Physics

by Andrew Parker -
I suppose that'd be me. I'm the pester-ee, and here's where the Physics taxonomy stands at present:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tumq-iDFtoLPPci8mYAp4dLtPiot-f0PEv5qYQqxe9g/edit?usp=sharing

There are currently 27 chapters in the 'Physics' DBcourse -- which is probably too many, but the question is how then to divide up the 27 DBchapters ... please feel free to contribute with the *suggestions* option enabled, so that your edits can be commented upon by other reviewers.
In reply to Andrew Parker

Re: Looking for a draft taxonomy for Physics

by Boyd Duffee -
I've finally got around to making comments on the Physics taxonomy (apologies for the mess I made) There are a few chapters that I felt could be combined and a couple that could be separated out.  My comments are all suggestions; their brevity makes them sound a bit dictatorial which was not my intention.

I suppose the best way to get a good classification is to run some Card Sorting experiments with Physics staff.  It's easy enough with a bunch of index cards when you're having coffee together in meatspace.  The link at the bottom of the wiki page points to some freemium web-based tools which might better suit a dispersed cohort.