WeBWorK Problems

Force all parens to be parentheses

Force all parens to be parentheses

by Alex Jordan -
Number of replies: 4

Now that we can use tikz in a PG problem, it's nice to plot a function using pgfplots ad the \addplot macro. However there are some incompatibilities between how MathObjects prints a formula and what the syntax for an argument to \addplot must be. One of these incompatibilities is that \addplot does not understand brackets as a grouping symbol. So if you have like:

$f = Formula("1/(x(x+1))");

Later if you are in tikz code and use

\addplot ... {$f};

It becomes

\addplot ... {1/[x*(x+1)]};

and the latex image compilation fails.

Is there a way to force brackets (and braces?) to be parentheses in MathObjects string output?

I have hit a few other incompatibilities and I resort to manually re-writing the formula in the tikz code. But most of these time, this issue has been this bracket issue.

In reply to Alex Jordan

Re: Force all parens to be parentheses

by Andrew Swanson -
I use these two lines (this is from a subroutine, so the variable $exp is local):

my $exp = $f->string;
$exp =~ tr /[]/()/; #TikZ does not like square brackets so translate them for parentheses

Then you canĀ 

\addplot ... {$exp};

I had to learn about perl's translate operation just for this...
In reply to Andrew Swanson

by Alex Jordan -

Yes, I did think about something like this that would search-and-replace on the strings. But I'd like to know if there is something more slick like a context flag. So it would be set once (well, once for each context where it's needed) and then work for all the functions I might plot in that problem. I looked at the wiki for a flag like this and didn't find one. I have not yet searched the MathObjects code, but that is my next step if something doesn't come up on this thread about it.

In reply to Alex Jordan

by Alex Jordan -
FWIW, I looked into changing pgf's behavior (as an alternative to changing MathObjects behavior) so that brackets would be interpreted as grouping symbols. In a pgf math expression, brackets are used to indicate an array entry. While pgf math functions are customizable (able to be redefined), I could not find in the documentation anything that would allow me to change the meaning of brackets.
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Glenn Rice -
I doubt that you can redefine brackets in LaTeX. I don't think it is a PGF math limitation, but a LaTeX limitation. Brackets are used to delimit command options in LaTeX. In PGF math expressions, brackets are used to access a particular element of an array, but this is just the usual LaTeX command option notation. Perhaps you could change the definition using catcodes, but that seems like a dangerous thing to do.

You are more likely to have success modifying MathObject behavior than changing bracket behavior in TikZ and PGF.